Talk

Advanced search

Climbing guinea pig?!

(6 Posts)
Justusemyname Sun 17-May-15 17:44:39

My piggies just climbed up the wall of his outdoor run. It was the first time playing out. Mostly spent hiding under a cover. Very funny watching DH try to catch them when it was time to come in grin. I didn't know they could climbshock. I love them so muchblush.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 17-May-15 18:31:05

Ooh lucky your DH could catch your little Houdini.

Your outdoor run does sound quite low if he can get out - and is there no cover? Not the mesh ones that come with those pens (unless you are right beside them all the time) a proper cover.
Sadly your pig is more at risk from foxes (yes even in the daytime they are tenacious and our local ones have cubs now). Cats, hovering Birds of Prey. Ferrets ( escaped pet perhaps)
Any will nab a guinea.

We have a rabbit run for ours (rectangular with no floor- pigs don't dig) and a triangular one for GP6.

Our GP3 Lardy Boar could jump out of the travel box which stands about knee height to me. Like a mighty Pegasus he reared up on his hind legs and cleared it.
They will always catch you by surprise - that's part of their charm. But they're very vunerable and a bit dim. They need protected from themselves I reckon grin

Justusemyname Sun 17-May-15 18:42:21

The run is massive, has a new roof and they are very safe!! I never said he got out. DH had to catch him as in pick him up to bring back inside. I know I'm not as knowledgable as you, 70, but I'm not that stupid.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 17-May-15 19:36:49

Pardon me for living then but climbed up the wall of the outdoor run and watching DH trying to catch them suggests they were escaping.
And as they aren't particularly agile to climb?

I'll just leave your posts then name.

I don't claim to be 'knowledgable' , but I've kept many guineas so I have life experience.
Like I said, I won't post on your threads again.
I don;t go round calling people 'stupid' hmm

Justusemyname Sun 17-May-15 20:12:32

You might not claim to be knowledgeable but I think you are. Ive seen many of your posts and you have helped me too. I was just offended that you thought I'd be so clueless as to put them out in an unsafe situation. Their play run is massive which is why DH had to catch them. He stood on his back legs then jumped to get higher. It looked quite strange, I never knew they could do that.

Lancelottie Fri 12-Jun-15 10:08:56

I had a childhood guinea who could shimmy up chainlink fences, Justuse! He was an unneutered boar and had motivation on his side (the hutch-full of lovely ladies the other side of the garden fence).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now