tawnyowlsrock Thu 02-Apr-15 12:32:25

We have had hammys before last one bit we were nervous
She is 3 months old
Really cute
So friendly
Have stroked her every day
She went on my gloved hand yest grin

FernieB Thu 02-Apr-15 13:19:22

She sounds lovely. I've never had a hamster but always wanted one as a child (parents wouldn't let me have one). Maybe one day I'll take the plunge.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 02-Apr-15 22:08:29

Aww smile
I've never kept them either but I did have to help NDN catch one of hers that had gone on an adventure behind the sofa. I scooped it up and thought "how soft and light are you "
I've had mice but the hamster felt so different.

They like mealworms so I;m told <<bleurgh>>

Bonkey Thu 02-Apr-15 23:35:36

I miss my hamsters mucho!

They do indeed like mealworms...and baby food - but in moderation and make sure to get one minus garlic and onions - Grandmas chicken dinner was a firm fave in the BonkeyHouse!

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Fri 03-Apr-15 13:00:24

All my hammies have loved mealworms. If my hamster had her way she would eat nothing but mealworms and monkey nuts. I only feed dried ones though except when the cats bring live ones in

chancer2014 Sun 19-Apr-15 08:18:56

Where do I buy mealworms from? Are they marketed for purchase for another pet or for hamsters?

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Tue 26-May-15 22:50:20

I know I'm very late answering this but I've only just seen your post chancer2014. I'm not sure if you've already found your answer elsewhere (and you probably have done), in which case just ignore me, but thought I'd answer anyway.

The mealworms you buy for hamsters are the same ones you buy for birds. I don't think you can buy mealworms which are specifically marketed towards hamsters but as long as they're just plain mealworms with nothing else added to them they're fine for hamsters.

I use the Pets at Home ones. They're stocked in the wild bird section IIRC.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Tue 26-May-15 22:52:18

These ones

They're not meant to have them too often as they're quite fattening but they're a great source of protein.

thecolourpink Wed 03-Jun-15 21:36:25

Please make sure they're dried mealworms and not live ones as if still alive when hamster eats them they can chew their way out through the hamster. I was told this by the vet.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Thu 04-Jun-15 23:45:28

You can feed live mealworms, you just have to crush the head before feeding them otherwise they might bite the hamster.

I've never heard that they can chew their way out of the hamster before though confused.

chancer2014 Mon 27-Jul-15 07:35:56

Just returned to this. Thanks, people for the additional info! Will buy some today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now