Talk

Advanced search

Shiney new hamster owner!!

(7 Posts)
girliefriend Sat 07-Feb-15 16:00:45

So have just bought home a lovely Russian Dwarf hamster, dd has named her Scarlett smile she is very cute and small.

Is there anything i need to know? Have only had gerbils before and feel bit clueless about hamsters, we have got her a wheel which she is currently going mad in grin picked her up some hamster muesli but do they like to eat anything else?

TIA

TheReluctantCountess Sat 07-Feb-15 18:34:13

Because they are so small, it is easy to upset their tummies. We occasionally give ours a teeny chunk of carrot, but other than that, we stick to dry stuff. They love the egg biscuits that you can buy - you might have had those for your guinea pigs.

TheReluctantCountess Sat 07-Feb-15 18:35:06

Ooooh, but one thing I do, is to stuff an empty kitchen roll with bedding, with some yoghurt drops in the middle. Keeps them busy for ages.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sat 07-Feb-15 18:38:36

Oh, they are soooo cute.

We've had a few of these over the years. One particularly cute one was (uexpectedly) a winter white breed that would be grey/brown in the summer, then white in the winter. He lasted 3 winters after we'd been told they would live for 18 months.

girliefriend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:07:21

Yogurt drops - are those esp for hamsters? Will have to make another trip to Pets at home wink

She seems really friendly, dd currently has her out and Scarlet is enjoying having a sniff about! Will try and get a picture. The chap in the pet shop said they like apple, do you think that might upset her tummy?

Also the gerbils were always happy with hay and some tissue for bedding are hamsters the same <hopeful> ?

girliefriend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:15:31

Scarlett the hamster smile

TheReluctantCountess Mon 16-Feb-15 11:46:55

I've never given hay to a hamster. I just use sawdust and the paper bedding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: