Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about c and c cages

(6 Posts)
MillyMoo1113 Sun 21-Dec-14 10:11:21

We have five gp, 4 girls in together and a boy(brother of one of the girls). Boy gp is being neutered on Tuesday, and I need to get a new cage for all five of them to be in together. Girls are already outgrowing their space.

Hve looked at c and c online, and think 2x6 is what we need, are the really easy to put together? I can build a flat pack wardrobe so assume these are no more difficult. Also, they are indoor piggies and where I think I'll need to put bigger cage is in front of a cupboard that is sometimes accessed. Will I be able to just slide the cage out if the way like I do now?

Also any advice on looking after my boy after he's been neutered would be much appreciated. Am a bit worried about it being done!

KittiesInsane Sun 21-Dec-14 10:20:15

They are easy enough but can be a bit flimsy at the joints (C&C cages, that is, not neutered GPs). But possibly any flatpack wardrobe I built would also be a bit flimsy blush.
2x6 (panels rather than feet?) sounds like guinea pig luxury!

MillyMoo1113 Sun 21-Dec-14 10:53:56

My flat pack wardrobes sometimes wobble!
Yes 2x6 panels, almost as big as dd's bedroom....

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 21-Dec-14 13:44:38

I had a brief trial of a C&C type (I bought some panels from Costco about 14" squares with corner clips. DH assembled a really nice sized run for our pigs and secured each corner with cable ties as well. Clip the ends of the ties so they don't eat them)

You need the lining (I didn't have, I put tarpaulin underneath and made a base of cardboard cut to fit)
Mine didn't use all the space they stayed in the hay area really. I dismantled it and gave them their indoor cage again, full of hay.

It is versitile , easy to clean, airy. You can make little 'rooms' or an upper level.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 21-Dec-14 14:00:18

WRT your boar. Our chap was neutered in July . He was a year old at the time, his 'StepDad' had died peacefully on the Pighouse . GP3 came to live with us at 6 weeks so GP1 was his stable companion.
We got him booked in to neuter and got him two rescue sows to side-by-side until he was neutered and safe ( we took a chance I know but he rallied round with knowing he had other piggies though obviously they couldn't meet up till he was safe)

He went in, weighed, checked, heart rate, temperature checked. DD and I went off to get something to eat.
We were asked to take a water bottle and a snack for him , his favourite salads, they need to see them eating after they come round.
They gave him a painkiller injection, we had 3 days of painkiller medicine ( he quaffed it down, didn't even need to hold him to administer grin

They need to sleep on fleece and/or towel (we got white/cream) so you can see if there's any leakage.

No Hay for sleeping in. We put hay in toilet roll tubes so he could pull a bit out at a time.
He went out on the lawn after about 4 days IIRC (I'd phoned the vets to update them as it's an hours drive and this was the height of summer) he was recovering well so okay to graze.

They'll give you all the information before. Main thing is your pig is fit and healthy before and he eats and pees/poohs after. Of course there's a risk with any small animal surgery but our boar thouroughly recommends it .

He has two girls to cuddle and he hasn't got those mahoosive boar bollocks in the way when he poohs.

MillyMoo1113 Sun 21-Dec-14 17:16:40

Thank you for your replies 70. I think I will go for the c and c type cages, just need to do some measuring and thinking.

My boy is having a pre neuter check tomoro tea time before going in Tuesday morning. Hadn't thought about the no hay thing afterwards but we've loads of old towels so that should be ok. We'd been asked to take his water and some fruit/veg for him. Our vets is a top of our road and we're on first name terms as they see all five gp's, the two cats and the hamster! Plus they are 24 hours if we need them.

He's side by side with his sisters/mum at moment and they have had closely supervised contact in our indoor run so I'm hoping that once we house them together they will be ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now