Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tooth spurs in bunny

(7 Posts)
Phoenixfrights Wed 19-Nov-14 13:57:20

Our male bunny who is around 4 yrs old has got a couple of dental spurs on his molars and they are starting to grow oddly. Vet says it's because he has an unusual shaped palate - it's not because he's being fed the wrong stuff. So, when he chews his hay he is not grinding his back teeth together as he should.

So.... she recommends having his teeth filed down under general anaesthetic, at the cost of £200 quid a time. She said possibly it could need doing twice per year and worst-case-scenario every six weeks [faints] Which would not be financially feasible for us.

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, how often did you end up having to have it done?

Now we know why the people who gave him and his mate up to the RSPCA "could not afford to keep them". Grrrrr.....

Phoenixfrights Wed 19-Nov-14 16:09:46

Anyone got any bunny knowledge they care to share? Go on, you know you want to...

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 19-Nov-14 20:54:21

No help I'm afraid but:
how long have you have the rabbit?
did you get him from the RSPCA?

If you did and if his dental issues were an issue when you got him, do they have an RSPCA vet who could see him?
The will charge you but hopefully less than £200 <<fans self with the Radio Times>> and they will be more used to small mammals than a cat & dog vet ('cos rabbits are Exotic y'know ) wink

tiggydiggydee Thu 20-Nov-14 00:38:51

Our previous bunny had terrible dental problems. Spurs on both back teeth and to start with needed dentals twice a year. If I remember correctly it was around £250 each time sad tough on the bunny and tough on our purse!
We carried on with this for a few years but the gaps between dentals were getting closer to each other untill our poor bunny got a really nasty abscess. We'd been so vigilant going for regular check ups at the vets to monitor his teeth but some how this abscess crept up on us very quickly.
It was a very difficult decision but in the end our poor bun was needing 6 weekly dentals ..then the abscess so we made the upsetting decision to put him to sleep.
I've had friends who's buns have needed the odd dental here and there and been fine afterwards...think we were just really unlucky with this particular bun. I'm now super conscious of our present bunny's teeth which thankfully even though he's a pretty old boy now have always been fine.
Hope your bunny's teeth improve and it isn't too expensive!

Phoenixfrights Thu 20-Nov-14 01:01:42

70 yes got them from RSPCA. Good idea, will give them a call smile

Tiggy sorry about your bun. Thanks for sharing. £250 every six weeks [faints]

dnwig Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:22

Hi we have had this problem with our adopted female rabbit who needs dental treatment under GA every few months. Costs about £80 a time, so £200 sounds a lot! Maybe ask another vet? I guess it could depend what part of the country though.

Phoenixfrights Thu 27-Nov-14 22:53:01

Surprise surprise we are in London where everything costs a blimmin fortune smile

Thanks for yr reply. Poor bunnies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now