Talk

Advanced search

Super furry animals wise people - does anyone have a cat and a hamster, or two!

(9 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Tue 18-Nov-14 14:31:50

Super furry animals wise people - does anyone have a cat and a hamster, or two!

Please give me your guidance! We have an 18 month old neutered ginger tom and my dd (10) wants a hamster. I fear the hamster will suffer a fate of possible death as I cannot see how we can keep the cat and hamster apart permanently!

Of course the hamster, either a Syrian or a Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters or some sort of Russian or Chinese dwarf hamster (and if we go for a dwarf one we may get two) would be in their cage all the time but I have heard that cats can pull the cage off a table etc and this could kill the hamster with shock!

The only thing I can imagine is a small cage inside a larger cage. Which would also keep our 4 year old son at bay!

If the cage were already on the floor the cat would not be able to get it to fall.

The option to shut cat out of hamster room is just not on as doors are constantly open and I know my dd would find it imposable to remember to keep her door shut all the time.

Would our dear cat go mad seeing and not 'getting' hamster or would our fictitious possible future hamsters go mad seeing a cat!

With a plastic cage he would not be able to get in but they would be able to see him!!

EH www.wayfair.co.uk/Savic-Spelos-Cage-Pacific-S0190-QQR1038.html

or

www.wayfair.co.uk/Savic-Rody-Cage-Hamster-in-Warm-Red-S0166-WR-QQR1282.html

When we were all out of the house the hamsters could be in a room with doors shut, so the real 'risk' would only be when we were at home and doors would be opening etc!

Any advice, very welcomed, please.

FingersOnLips Tue 18-Nov-14 14:39:33

I gave in to the pleading for hamsters approx 18 months ago, we have 2 cats ( one a prolific hunter) and I had the same concerns as you, I insisted we bought glass tanks (critters choice are good) and have had no problems since we acquired the 2 dwarf hamsters, apart from having to split them up for fighting each other but that's another thread!

I never keep the cats away from the tanks, have caught them sitting on top occasionally and they do like to paw the glass if a hamster is out and about but the hamsters have no fear of the cats and even appear curious!

We do however always shut the cats away when the tanks are being cleaned or when the hamsters are being handled.

imalostcause Tue 18-Nov-14 15:00:04

We used to have two cats and a hamster in a cage. We bought a huge cage, best we could get and kept it on the floor. I was fairly certain the cats couldn't take it apart and hurt the hamster. However, they did sit on top of it and once knocked his tunnel so that it came apart and he came out. Hearing the noise we ran upstairs to find the cats sitting there looking innocent and the hamster clinging to the outside back of the cage - with a gash to his ear. So they had got him briefly.. We taped the tunnel up so the same thing couldn't happen again with parcel tape and after that he was fine and went on to live to be three years old. They did love watching him though and I would never trust a cat near a hamster.

Italiangreyhound Tue 18-Nov-14 16:25:38

Thanks so much, very useful.

Shockers Tue 18-Nov-14 16:31:50

Hamster no longer with us (old age!), but were good friends, although always supervised. The same cat now sits atop the rats' cage. I think he likes the company.

He's a prolific hunter outside the house though.

Italiangreyhound Tue 18-Nov-14 16:58:02

Shockers frankly, shocking! But in a good way! Thanks.

teenagetantrums Tue 18-Nov-14 17:03:55

We had gerbils and hamsters with out first cat, she just sat on the cagesand watched them, never tried to eat them. Out two boys now arrived after the demise off our our last hamster, but we ended up with another one, long story, we had to shut it in my sons rooms they really wanted to kill it, and would spend ages outside his room waiting for the chance to get in and attack the cage, so it can be done just depends on the cat.

KnappShappeyShipwright Thu 20-Nov-14 22:37:48

Our docile and aged neutered tom was found with our hamster in his jaws one morning. Hamster escaped overnight without us realising and unfortunately the cat noticed first. If you are getting a hamster, make sure the cage is Houdini proof as all hamsters seem to have the urge to escape. Our younger, more energetic cat was fascinated by the hamster in its cage but wouldn't go near it once it was out on our laps of in its exercise ball. Some cats understand the difference between pets and wild animals, others don't...

littlehayleyc Mon 24-Nov-14 22:20:53

We have a cat, and until last week had a hamster sad He died of old age. We ended up moving him to a glass tank because we were worried about the cat knocking the cage over. We used to have a Rotastak cage and after a very lucky escape (cat or child had knocked the tube and it had come apart. Luckily I noticed and the hamster hadn't wandered far!) We put the tank on a shelf that the cat couldn't get to. I think because it was a tank, the cat didn't seem to notice the hamster anymore and stopped showing any interest. The cat was always shut out of the room whilst cleaning out the cage or getting the hamster out to play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now