Talk

Advanced search

newbie with guinea pigs. what is this?

(11 Posts)
Betty1980 Thu 13-Nov-14 20:52:06

Hi. hope you can help. only had guinea pigs for about 2 months. noticed last night a circular scab on one of her rosettes and now today a large scaly sore area on her bottom. Any ideas? what should I do?

eeyoreeeyoreoh Thu 13-Nov-14 20:54:14

Take her to the vet?

Betty1980 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:08:49

Do I have to be registered with a vet?

eeyoreeeyoreoh Thu 13-Nov-14 21:12:44

If the piggy needs medical attention then yes you should register with a vet.

traviata Thu 13-Nov-14 21:13:33

no you can just phone up and book an appointment.

traviata Thu 13-Nov-14 21:14:16

sorry, x-post, at any rate I can just walk in to my local vet and do not need to register.

SoftSheen Thu 13-Nov-14 21:14:48

Sounds like ringworm. Not serious but will need treatment. Contact your local vet and you should be able to register and book an appointment over the phone.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Nov-14 21:15:48

Could be skin mites as well, all guinea pigs have mites and they are usually harmless but they can irritate at times of stress. Yes take her to the vet.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 13-Nov-14 22:20:49

Mites tends to be on the rump and the hairs can 'snap'
Fungal infections can give a scabby, scurfy look
Could be self barbering or the other pig chewing her fur

Could be a combination confused things are never simple.

Most guineas can carry a mite load which causes no trouble unless they are stressed then like alot of skin related problems, stress aggrevates it.

Have a look at the Gorgeous Guineas Website - there are some really good photos. They sell various treatment shampoos and melts . You can email for advice but it might take them a while to get back to you.
For the health and comfort of your piggie, take them both to the vet and have them checked.
Good Luck.

Betty1980 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:40:37

Ok will take to the vet, won't be able to get there til Tuesday though. anything I can do at home in the meantime?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 13-Nov-14 23:35:09

Maybe bathe the area in warm salted water to keep it clean.
It's soothing too if she's tempted to scratch or pick at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now