Talk

Advanced search

My ratties may be pts today :(

(9 Posts)
pumpkinsweetie Tue 11-Nov-14 10:04:05

I have 2 boy rats, and sadly the time has come when their quality of life has diminished so, much, so that we are off to the vets this afternoon to unfortunately have them pts.
I think they have myca and have been playing it down, only for their activity to slow down this week. They have red coming from their eyes and nostrils and are just lying around listless sad They won't eat or drink, and I'm trying my best to syringe feed them but tbh I think they are losing their fight, I realized last night that I cannot watch them suffer like this any longersad

They used to be so playful and loved to climb, and run to their hammocks.

So very upset, I have been crying all morning, had to try hard to hold it together for the school run. I can't believe either how much it is going to cost just to end their life's, it seems so wrongsad

fortifiedwithtea Tue 11-Nov-14 10:52:29

Here to hand hold, I know just how you feel flowers Small furries get hold of your heart just as much as big pets. They are part of the family.

I have a guinea pig at the moment who is by no means out of the woods.

Ending suffering is the last kindness you can do for a much loved pet. If its any consolation I had to have my 'Old Boy' guinea pig pts nearly 2 years ago. He fell asleep instantly in my hands and had a second injection to send him to the 'Bridge'. It was very peaceful. We laid him to rest under his favourite shrub he liked to sit under.

Very sad day sad sending un-MN hugs to you

pumpkinsweetie Tue 11-Nov-14 14:59:24

Thanks fortified, really wish I hadn't gone alone, thought I could deal with taking them, but I ended up bursting into tears before I even got into the room.

The vet didn't offer for me to stay during the procedure, but I'm guessing that's because I was so hysterical. I didn't have the funds to get their ashes, or so I thought, upon getting home I realized I got some money paid in today, now I wish I could turn back timesad

I feel so bad, just leaving them there, didn't think it would be this heartbreaking.
I guess rats and other furries are just as important and loved just as much as larger pets.
Going to miss them

fortifiedwithtea Tue 11-Nov-14 15:52:15

I don't think I would have been strong enough to cope with two together, you were brave to go alone, I'm guessing not by choice sad

If you want their ashes, phone and say you've changed your decision and pay the difference by phone. I'd be surprised if its too late to change arrangements so soon.

Greyhound Tue 11-Nov-14 15:58:27

So sorry sad

I loved my rats and still miss them sad

PixieofCatan Fri 14-Nov-14 10:43:01

flowers So sorry to hear that OP sad I had to put my rescue girl to sleep in August and even though I'd only had her a short while it broke my heart leaving her with the vet.

RE ashes do phone and ask. I consoled myself with the whole "They do mass cremations so I'd probably not have much of Ruby in there." But I think it would have helped to have something. I didn't even get the towel back that I took her in on sad

pumpkinsweetie Sat 15-Nov-14 21:29:12

Aww pixie sorry to hear thatthanks

I didn't ring back in the end, got a lovely sympathy card from the vets on Thurs though and made me cry.

Feel so guilty still, even though they were at deaths door I feel responsible for allowing them to get so ill although it took hold so quickly.
Keep going over and over in my head what I could have done differently, and still I am coming home forgetting for a few minutes they are no longer here.
I hate the grieving process, the despair of knowing you are never going to see your pets again is awfulsad

ColgateSmile Sat 15-Nov-14 21:39:44

So sorry OP , we have got two boy ratties and can't imagine being without them (as smelly and nibbly as they are!) .. a couple of years ago I had to make the decision to have my lovely car PTS after he was hit by a car, heartbreaking thing to have to do.

flowers

PixieofCatan Sun 16-Nov-14 09:43:28

With rats you can't feel guilty for how fast they get ill, they go downhill so quickly.

That was lovely of the vets. I hope you're feeling a bit better flowers it's amazing how much they end up meaning to us for such tiny creatures!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now