Talk

Advanced search

I've just had Betty Pig PTS should I put her body back in the cage for a while?

(12 Posts)
Methe Sat 08-Nov-14 14:17:26

She was almost 4 and had managed somehow to remove half the front of her eye sad the vet said that she didn't think treatment would work and that she could try to remove it but we decided to pts there and then due to the level of pain she was in.

Should I return her body to the cage for a couple of hours or even overnight to let her family grieve, or should I bury her straight away?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:30:18

Aww poor BettyPig and what a horrible thing to happen to her eye sad.

When you say "her family" you mean other pigs?

If so, yes pop her back in, tuck her in a small towel or something (they leak, nose and other end -TMI)

Let her stay there (we left the body of GP2 with GP1 overnight and GP1 with GP3 overnight) , They died in very warm weather so we didn't want them hanging about too long .

They need to grieve and 'know' .

When you bury her, make sure she's fox proofed (voice of bitter experience)

Off to The Bridge now sad

Methe Sat 08-Nov-14 14:34:52

Yes her husband, sister and niece to use human terminology. I've put her in with them now and dug the whole, our garden is a veritable guinea graveyard sad

We've had guineas for 5 years and never any issues really but we've had 2 eye related traumas in the last couple of months. Tomorrow I'm going over the run witch a fine toothed comb.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:46:01

Methe the hay is vile don't you find. I;m regularly picking out twigs, thistley bits and sharp pieces.

It doesn't get easier does it, no matter how often .
Aren't their bodies featherlight when they die? All rubbery and floppy.

You might find the answer to what caused it but I suppose it could just as easily be a claw, a twig or a wasp/insect bite.

Methe Sat 08-Nov-14 14:49:44

Albertos eye injury was a grass seed and you should have seen the size of it when we managed to pull it out! Goodness knows what Betty had done. They are such fragile little creatures aren't they sad she was fine late yesterday afternoon. Dd is gutted.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:50:14

I've seen wasps and bees in the garden last week and thought ' keep away from my pigs you stingy little blighters'

juneybean Sat 08-Nov-14 14:53:00

Ohh this is tragic I've never kept guinea pigs so didn't realise they grieve too. Sorry for the loss of Betty.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:54:40

I'm not surprised your DD is devastated - but GPs go quickly don;t they.

Our GP1 had a huge grass seed from some lovely fresh hay I bought them- it was a whopper too shock

My DD has a collection of photos of the hogs on her iPhone that she skims through.
She found GP1 in the Pighouse when he died (I knew he was winding down) but he'd been fine the day before, had supper, chattered for breakfast.
They don't linger sad

And YY they are fragile little souls.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:57:13

juney it's very noticeable when you have a lone remainer (twice we had a lone boar for 6 days ) at night they were in DD room. By day in the Pighouse. And it's so pitiful to think of them on their own when they've had company.

Methe Sat 08-Nov-14 14:59:40

The thought of a single pig is such a sad thing isn't it sad

guineapiglet Sat 08-Nov-14 17:23:18

Very sorry to hear your news what a horribly sad thing to happensad they are such dear creatures and the others do pine... Sending you and your family thanks

fortifiedwithtea Sat 08-Nov-14 22:17:35

A terrible shock to lose Betty like that sad The others need to have a sniff and a lick to know she's gone but don't need long with her.

RIP Betty Pig

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now