Talk

Advanced search

Can GPs have watercress or rocket?

(18 Posts)
PacificDogwood Fri 24-Oct-14 13:44:51

I have an almost full bag of slightly limp but perfectly edible 'watercress, spinach and rocket' salad leaves I've had some for lunch that I don't think anybody else will want: can I give it to my boys?

Spinach I know is fine (they do rather like it), but the watercress and rocket are a bit spicy, aren't they?

Anybody know?

TIA smile

tess73 Fri 24-Oct-14 13:51:25

my guinea pig eats rocket, not her favourite though!

nethunsreject Fri 24-Oct-14 13:55:52

It's fine for them but depends on their palate ;-). Mine get loose stools with lots of green but this is unusual I think?

PacificDogwood Fri 24-Oct-14 13:57:59

Oh thank you smile

Mine love spinach and kale and spring greens, will eat carrots if there's nothing else on offer (but they judge me) and love cucumber and tomato.

I have never seen a green stool but I thought they eat them again to then produce nice non-offensive poo-pellets? Disgusting creatures

BorisIsABitOfAGargoyle Fri 24-Oct-14 13:58:59

Mine used to eat this all the time, they loved it smile

nethunsreject Fri 24-Oct-14 14:06:39

Oh yes the poo eating is their only downside. : )
Beetroot makes red poo!! Rather alarming.

PacificDogwood Fri 24-Oct-14 14:29:18

They eat beetroot? The vegetable the devil himself invented??

They are weirder than I thought.
grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Oct-14 15:03:56

YY to the rocket/spinach/watercress salad, but only a bit (dark green veg can be high in calcium and something I can't spell like oxilates which can predispose to kidney / bladder stones)

Mine love it, not as keen on rocket alone.

Beetroot -yes. I used to give it to my little Abby boar to put weight on him for winter. And yes, it gives lovely maroon turds wink. He would get loose poohs with too much grass but he did the Fererro Rocher sized droppings once a week or so (normal ones in between) so I didn't trust his innards.

GP3 and the sows are getting nice and porky , can't give my Himalayan beetroot until Hallowe'en thlgrin Mwah ha ha

nethunsreject Fri 24-Oct-14 21:01:54

Mmmm, beetroot ;-)

Stripyhoglets Tue 28-Oct-14 21:51:28

mine love the stuff.

WyrdByrd Wed 29-Oct-14 00:09:53

Do you give them beetroot raw or cooked?

Whilst on the subject of food - what about pumpkin and butternut squash? I presume sweet potato is a no-no? confused

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 29-Oct-14 00:48:17

Beetroot raw (only the purple bit not leaves).
Some eat it, GP2 munched a slice or two, GP1 only ate it in a beetroot salad.
My present clan , I don't know, I'm not relishing getting beetroot juice off GP5 (Himmy)

I wouldn't give sweet potato personally, very starchy , but they are safe in small amounts.

A couple of years back there was a thread at Hallowe'en about giving pumpkin to piggies.......it was tried but most of them didn't appreciate it.
Maybe the Lantern Pumpkins weren't to their (very fussy) tastes. Culinary Pumpkins might be better?

I give mine banana in skin. They eat the skin and leave the fruit, fermenting, soft, gooey. For me to find.
Thanks Pigs hmm

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 29-Oct-14 00:49:19

It's potato that unsafe, sweet potato is ok but limited

WyrdByrd Wed 29-Oct-14 01:13:52

I give mine bananas with skin occasionally - fortunately one seems to like the skin and the other one prefers the flesh so I don't tend to get leftovers.

The thing I've found that they really dislike is courgettes. I thought they love them but have tried a few times now and they have a tentative nibble then spend the rest of the night using them as missiles judging by the mess hutch in the morning.

Will probably steer clear of sweet pots but might try them with a slice of butternut squash. We have a pumpkin so huge they could live in it, never mind eat it!

Had Luna on my lap being hand fed sliced grapes today - spoilt rotten but she does appreciate it, unlike Bella who is still a bitey little bugger hmm

fortifiedwithtea Wed 29-Oct-14 12:46:08

I had my 3 lined up being hand fed bite sized pieces of banana, yesterday. Millie thought it more appealing that way, banana is not her favourite. After eating more banana than I had intended it was supposed to be my banana Naughty dropped hers on the sawdust. She looked at it and ran off in disgust. I wiped the wood off and put it back on the hay. Coco thought waste not, want not and polished it off smile

WyrdByrd you're a bigger slave than I grin. I burst grapes so the little darlings don't get juice squirted in their eye blush

WyrdByrd Wed 29-Oct-14 16:53:14

At least neither of us have got to stage of peeling grapes for them yet grin !

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 29-Oct-14 18:48:33

I had to give "cutted up grapes" and strawberries otherwise our little boar would run away with a whole one and refuse to share grin

"One strawberry" they'd huff .
"Yes, one large strawberry is ample between the two of you otherwise you'll get too much sugar"

They were hmm

millimat Fri 07-Nov-14 21:51:15

Can they eat most fruit and vegetable skins?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now