Talk

Advanced search

Anyone use "Hop Inn" tunnels/cubes for small furries?

(11 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 09-May-14 11:57:34

My guinea boars loves their plastic tunnels and I saw Hop Inn products on QVC ( my patron saint of home shopping blush )

But I'm not 100% sure my lardy boys would use the cube part, so I sourced a pair of the tunnels instead. Says they can be linked togther with toggles or secured with tent pegs (sounds easier)

I know little toothy rodenty types (and rabbity types) are prone to chewing, but the website suggests hay or paper shredding to distract them?

Anyone used these? Seems nice for summer to keep them shaded and interested.

FernieB Fri 09-May-14 14:55:28

I had to google these - they look good for guineas. Agree that they probably wouldn't use the cube but mine do love a good tunnel grin so would probably enjoy those. I had a similar tunnel for previous bun and she loved it and never chewed it despite being a very chewy bun. Current Bun already has a tent which is similar to the cube but he's scared of it and will only sniff it cautiously and then run away (he's had it a yearconfused). I think I'll give it to the pigs.

FernieB Fri 09-May-14 14:58:40

Just remembered that previous bun's tunnel was inherited by the pigs and so they used it for a bit when they first came to live with us. They loved it but it soon became manky as they are not such clean animals as rabbitswink. I think it survived a few months (with me trying to clean it regularly) before I conceded defeat and threw it out - it was beyond cleaning and stank.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 09-May-14 15:04:59

grin DH phoned me to see why an email came up on his phone about Pig Tunnels <<whistles innocently>>

I'm sure it will get stinky and peed on, but if it's for outdoor use only, I can sluice it down with the hose and hang it to dry.

I'm always surprised how piggies love tunnels but they're not tunneling creatures. But when you look at their delicate little paws next to a rabbits' , there's no way that pigs would dig wink

FernieB Fri 09-May-14 18:10:48

Definitely delicate paws. I have just done a comparison with Current Bun's giant feet - you can fit all 8 GP feet into 1 of his, but he is a large bunny.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 10-May-14 11:32:22

2 tunnels arrived (they are alot bigger than I thought they'd be grin ) I'm going to put one in the Pighouse and see what the general concensus is.
Diameter is 9.5" so it's suiyable for rabbits/cats and even my lardy boars will be able to squeeze their ample rumps through,

<<Spoiled little pigglies>>

FernieB Sat 10-May-14 12:55:03

That might even be large enough for Smoothpig! Although I have seen dogs smaller than himconfused. I'm sure your boys will love their tunnel after they've given you judgey stares first.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 10-May-14 15:06:19

GP3 scuttled right through it, GP1 was whassat? then went tripping off down the old plastic tunnel to show he wasn't a wuss

DD doesn't fancy putting her arm in and getting a handful of pee squished droppings grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 17-May-14 22:34:11

After a week with one in the Pighouse and one in the run (I'd have to move some of their crap treasured possessions to fit two in) GP3 LOVES the Hop Inn - judging by the pooh nests in their and the fact his little Gruffalo face is always poking out of one exit, I think he sleeps in there. grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 09-Aug-14 18:55:27

Update on the Hop Inns.

I washed the one which was in with GP3 (I'm not sure they're meant to be washed but I folded up and put in a zip-up laundry bag with their laundry detergent - either Ecover or Surcare) and it came out lovely and clean. It was really to make it Pig-Neutral for the three of them.

The other tunnel was in the outdoor run, so it gets rained on. They are all sharing it (there are three short tunnels that meet in the middle) one little cavy face looking out of each tunnel grin

Kavanne Thu 16-Jul-15 08:25:51

I wash mine in the washing machine too and found they've come up really well. I have about 6 sets between all my rabbits and they love them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now