Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pouch under bunny's chin

(3 Posts)
buddyfingy Sun 23-Mar-14 13:14:38

My girly bunny has recently developed a lump under her chin, it isn't hard or full of fluid and she is happy to let me touch it so must not be painful.
I have read a little bit about dewlaps (sounds like it could be one) that become prominent when the female rabbit is sexually mature. She is neutered, will this have any effect on her? Her little buddy has been 'done' too. She is happy and healthy in all ways so is this her just growing up?
Thanks in advance, probably just being precious over the little horror!

chocoluvva Mon 24-Mar-14 10:05:09

We adopted a rabbit who had an enormous dewlap - she was very overweight. We got her slimmed down, but the dewlap remained as large as ever - though it felt 'empty' - presumably her skin had stretched.

Our vet said that she could have an operation to reduce the dewlap, but we didn't get it done.

Our rabbit refused to eat hay. She turned out to have poor teeth, so preferred food that was easier to eat.

Weegiemum Tue 25-Mar-14 10:37:37

Our rescue bunny Alice has a huge dewlap. She's un-neutered. When she was rescued by the SSPCA she was hugely overweight and we still have her on the diet that the vet there approved. But her chin is all stretched (bit like my belly after 3 huge babies!!). It snuggles righ in under my chin on the occasions she climbs up for cuddles and our 6-month old cat gets his head under it when he can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now