Talk

Advanced search

Happiness recipe ...

(7 Posts)
Theas18 Sat 22-Mar-14 22:30:30

My mum is in hospital. My dad who is 90 and has dementia is here- 90 mins away as he can't be home alone .he's been ok (small matter of me not being able to yknow, work! But well ignore that..)

Oddly I'm also guinea pig sitting for a mate.

Well I can confirm this recipe for happiness actually works-
Mix dotty 90yr old and a couple celery sticks. He should examine them closely for some time in full view of large fat wheeking piggie. Then slowly, very slowly realise that maybe said piggie is supposed to eat them, and offer them through the bars , but just to enhance the excitement , pull them out again and exclaim" he's eating it!" With a grin at regular intervals .

Happy piggie , happy 90yr old and happy me - who got to make a coffee and drink most of it before dad felt lonely again...

Bluestocking Sat 22-Mar-14 22:32:37

That is so sweet! A large fat wheeking piggie, who could resist? grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 22-Mar-14 23:39:51

smile

It's "Pets as Therapy" at work.
Is your Dad able to sit with the guinea-pig in a blanket on his lap (I don't know how frail your dad is and how obliging the guinea is)

Stroking a pet is good for lowering blood pressure and guineas are very good listeners (if a bit judgey) wink

PacificDogwood Sun 23-Mar-14 14:04:30

Guineas are judgey?! Really?? shock

I might have to rethink getting some - they'll have a lot to be judge about…

Theas, that's just lovely. Such a difficult situation to be for you and any brief respite like that when everybody is happy, must be welcome relief thanks.

FernieB Sun 23-Mar-14 16:32:20

That sounds lovely. You're doing a wonderful and difficult job. My Dad is in the early stages of dementia and even at his stage it an be difficult but I have noticed that he is taking more interest in my fluffy boys now and seems to like spending time with them.

Velvetbee Sun 23-Mar-14 18:37:02

I appear to have something in my eye.

agnesf Tue 25-Mar-14 21:05:56

My GPs are wondering where they can fill out application form for Pets as Therapy. T'is almost their idea of pure heaven - nice man with celery in hand. Pure heaven would be nice old man with grass in hand.

Reminds self to grow old with GPs. They are top pets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now