Talk

Advanced search

Tell me all I need to know about Guinea Pigs please and also where to get them

(7 Posts)
shinybaubles Fri 21-Mar-14 11:08:54

My DS almost 8 has been pleading for Guinea Pigs for more than a year, and I feel I am about to give in, so what do I really need to know and where should I get them from.
So far I gather I should get two but males or females?
They need a large cage, do they also need an outside enclosure we have a big sunny garden.
Where to get them from?
Any other tips?

sneakyday Fri 21-Mar-14 11:45:53

Guineapigs are great. For an indoor cage I really recommend flece cage liners. Much cleaner, cheaper and kinder than endless supplys of sawdust.

they eat and poo A LOT!.

They will love being on a lawn where they can munch away till their heart is content so an outdoor run is very welcomed. But make sure they have some shade too.

rescues are a good idea as you kniw a bit more about them etc and it is always a good thing to rescue. However I have to say I found our local rescue to be less than helpful. I hope yours is much better.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Mar-14 12:15:15

Guinea-Pigs ARE great grin and shiny I suggest you sit yourself down with a large drink and read some of the back threads on Super Furry Animals.

Some things I'll pass on to you though.

I got my first guinea in 1974 -sow. My brother got one 3 months later -sow.
Mine wasn't a sow . We had piglets.

So, first, make sure that they are checked. wink

We have two boars at the moment. (An adult, the survivor of two brothers, and a 9 month old )
We got the brothers from a Rescue, my daughter wanted boars.We got the piglet from a Rescue (I needed a baby boar to match with my lone adult)
Sows are easier though.

They need much more space than you'd imagine. Lack of space and boredom makes them narky (especially boars)

I use hay and newspaper as bedding.
Indoors they might have cotton bathmats or towels but they're a pain to wash (hay in your washing machine) unless you put them in a pillowcase.

You need to protect them. Damp, cold, extreme heat, draughts, foxes, cats.- all dangerous to guinea-pigs.

Make sure your DS isn't allergic to piggies or hay.

Read up on the things they should or shouldn't eat,

Have a look at the "Show your Furries" thread, my handome beasts are the ones in Santa Hats blush . They are only forced to do this once a year.
Though DD put her GP1 in a Build-a-Bear Skater dress and he has never stopped sniping.

shinybaubles Fri 21-Mar-14 12:36:57

Thanks for your advice, am trying to find a rehoming centre near me but not having much luck at the moment. Will keep looking.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Mar-14 12:43:53

I got my boys from a Rabbit Rescue - I wasn't looking for rabbits grin but there were no rehoming places within 20 miles.
So I phoned and asked "I know you are a rabbit rescue but do you ever get guinea-pigs handed in?"

They had two bonded boars (brothers)
The rest, as they say, is history.

(My brother boys are on my profile, black and agouti. The two I have now are unrelated but look like brothers )

fortifiedwithtea Fri 21-Mar-14 15:17:17

This may seem odd as I have ended up with 3 sows but IMHO boars have more personality. But on the whole sows don't fall out with each other.

My Old Boy had a huge personality. I miss him everyday even though he passed 14 months ago sad He was 6 years old, so a ripe all age.

If you have boars, you are best to have litter babies so they are already bonded. Or as 70 has proved you can bond an adult boar with a baby boar.

My photos are on my profile. I've tried to load pictures onto the Show us your furries thread but can't work out how to do it blush I am waiting to grab teen DD at a good time for that wink

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Mar-14 18:48:25

They eat non stop (I'm not sure that mine ever sleep)
They do a good line in Judgey when they sit, pointedly , by an empty foodbowl.

The plate that I fill night and morning with mixed salad. They gave me a few eyed look when I opened their door at 2pm, slightly mollified by the plate of fresh cut grass.

And if they are inside you can never open the fridge door or have a bag of crisps without the wheeking to clipe on you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now