Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig eye problem

(12 Posts)
AtSea1979 Tue 18-Mar-14 14:37:54

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
Have 4 female piggies, had last one for about 6 months, approx 12 month old. One of her eyes has gone milky white colour. What could cause this?
Glaucoma? Infection?
I'm guessing a vet is needed whatever the cause.

WowserBowser Tue 18-Mar-14 14:46:26

Yes, one of mine did.

It was a bit of hay or whatever. I was given drops by the vets and she recovered really well.

JokersGiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 15:28:02

Prob just something in her eye - trip to the vets needed! A friend left her one without treatment and it turned into an ulcer, it was horrible sad she gave her to me as she "couldn't be bothered with it"......she is now not a close friend..... (and marmalade died of old age (almost 7) living as a queen with megrin )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 18-Mar-14 19:14:38

YY most likely a foreign body (mine are notorious for getting hay seeds or strands in their eyes)

But consider:

tooth problems - the GP has a very narrow jaw so it's difficult to see but your vet should have a retractor. Might be an overgrown molar?

diabetes- GPs can suffer this and eyes can be an early sign

cataracts - especially if it's cloudy but no trauma or irritant

Will your piggy let you have a look at her eye or is it painful? Have you sluiced it with boiled salt water (leave to cool to tepid) We've removed many things with this,

AtSea1979 Wed 19-Mar-14 12:27:10

Vet put local anaesthetic in and cleaned it with a cotton bud, given drops to put in and to go back in 5 days to check its healing.

JokersGiggle Wed 19-Mar-14 13:36:16

Poor little thing thanks she's lucky to have a caring mummy

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 19-Mar-14 13:50:00

I'm relieved the vet put analgesic in first.
Too many vets I've noticed don't think that GPs suffer pain.

They do. They hide it well.

Did the vet find anything lurking in the eye? Or was there a sign of damage?
Might be a claw scratch, so nothing left there but a wound.

AtSea1979 Wed 19-Mar-14 23:39:27

Didn't find anything but signs of damage, most likely hay.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 20-Mar-14 17:48:00

One of my GPs I had as a child had a scratch on her eye. It healed up (we had her checked but this was in the 1980s , GPs were not high priority pets).
Every now and again, her eye would go 'cloudy' were the scarring was then go back to normal.
She didn't rub her eye, it didn't get weepy or crusty.

My little Abby boar that we had last year had one fatty eye - and yes that was always the one he got hay in.
DD and I became deft at restrain the piggie, wipe his eye with saline gauze and Hey Presto, bit of hay once it was 1cm long shock
He was never grateful grin

fortifiedwithtea Fri 21-Mar-14 14:56:00

Millie Pig has recently cost a small fortune regarding an eye injury. There was no milkiness. Her eye was very sore looking, wet looking, slightly closed and red at the rim.

Millie had a big hole in her cornea probably caused by hay. The vet diagnosed it by putting some drops that showed up the hole green under a special light. It took a good 10 tens to heal completely. I can't remember if first check up was after 5 or 7 days but it wasn't fully healed and we had to take her for a third and final time.

My Old Boy went blind in his left eye in his last couple of months of life. The eye gradually went cloudy and then one day was completely milky looking. I think he probably had a tumour in his jaw , he had a lot of dental work in his last year and that caused his loss of sight.

AtSea1979 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:46:02

This one showed up green. Go back on Monday, still cloudy, every time I put the cream in she rubs it out straight away, so try to hold her for a while after so at least some is going in.

fortifiedwithtea Fri 21-Mar-14 16:54:55

I gave Millie a piece of cucumber each time she had her eye cream to reward her for being a good girl.

You could try giving your girl a treat to take her mind off rubbing her eye at ointment time.

Good luck and hope she recovers quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now