Talk

Advanced search

Help me!!!

(14 Posts)
Sleepingbunnies Fri 14-Mar-14 16:47:19

Ok, I got £50 amazon voucher from work today as a thank you... smile

Now, we need a New Guinea pig run, the one we currently have is a £79 rose run from PETA at home and we've had it for 5 years and it needs replacing..

I'm willing to spend up to £80 so go forth piggy people and find me a run.. Iv been looking all afternoon and cannot decide!!

FernieB Fri 14-Mar-14 18:18:02

You can't say things like this to piggy people. I went forth to find and have just spent an hour and I can't decide either (and I should have been ironing).

FernieB Fri 14-Mar-14 18:26:15

I have the folding version of the P@H rose run and I really like it as it's fairly easy to move around. There are similar things on amazon but a lot have doors at the side which I don't like (in case of accidental opening). Sorry I'm no help.

Sleepingbunnies Fri 14-Mar-14 18:30:19

We have the folding one too fernie I'm just wondering whether to go and replace it from P@H and just use the amazon voucher for something else. The thought of saving £50 did please me though!

Midori1999 Fri 14-Mar-14 18:40:01

I'm a bunny person, not a piggy one, but if you were prepared to spend £90 on a folding run from PAH, you can get a bigger run for the same money here:

www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/rabbitruns.html

Or here:

www.welfarehutches.co.uk/category/2ft%20high%20runs

I have this one from Amazon, which I really like, although I've put screws in so it won't fold unless I take the screws out. Purely because its attached to my Wendy house so my bunnies have permenant access to it.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005Q83I46/ref=s9_simh_awgw_d0_g199_i1/277-1708719-0497223?pi=SL115&aid=aw_gw&apid=437521927&arc=1201&arid=1AC4YDCS7DAEGVJJM19R&asn=center-6&pf_rd_i=aw_gw&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=437521927&pf_rd_r=1AC4YDCS7DAEGVJJM19R&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_t=1201

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 14-Mar-14 18:48:36

We got one from Amazon a couple of years ago (can't remember which brand but if you put "Rabbit Runs" in search it gives you one by "Bunny Business" which is the same photo )

Ours has a top door, a door at one end and two side doors - but they don't recommend attaching a wooden house to the side.

DH wired up the side doors to keep them closed.
I usually make DD go through the top door to catch the boys (see....those gymnastic lessons weren't wasted wink )

It has metal tent pegs to secure (we use about six) not so easy in summer when the ground is iron though.
It has a good height (for bunny binkying) but guineas don't need this.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 14-Mar-14 18:50:09

Mine is all metal, no wood. DH didn't want to paint anything.

Midori1999 Fri 14-Mar-14 19:02:05

We've got one of those too 70 and it's a pretty good size for the price. I've bought a few things by 'bunny business' and delivery is very quick.

Sleepingbunnies Fri 14-Mar-14 19:08:12

midori I was looking at that one on amazon! Do you recommend it? The reviews are so mixed!

Gingerbics Fri 14-Mar-14 19:55:24

Midori we have the same one as you. It arrived a few days ago but when we unfolded it to put the screws in the hinge snapped clean off and a big bit of wood splintered off! I phoned yest and they said they'd send us another run Monday ( the lid is fine) . Anyway it's arrived this aft and looks good so hopefully will give the lads their first airing tomor. It seems huge! Do you peg yours down too?

Midori1999 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:45:44

The folding wooden one sleeping? I like it. I've put the lid on upside down, if that makes sense? As I've screwed one side down, then the other side just lifts up to open. It was very easy to put up and although it was slightly flimsy, a few extra screws made it much sturdier. I think for the money it's pretty decent. I'd certainly buy one again if I wanted one that size and had an amazon voucher!

gingerbics the wooden one I linked to above is just screwed to the Wendy house on my patio and I feel that means it sturdy enough not to be tipped up or anything. If it was on the grass and didn't need to be foxproof, I'd just leave it free standing. The all metal run 70 mentions above I do peg down as its quite light. I also used cable ties on it where the panels join to make it less flimsy.

Gingerbics Sat 15-Mar-14 20:13:38

Thanks Midori that's really helpful. They had their first outing today, they seemed so tiny in it. Looked a bit stunned and munched on grass then spent the next hr or do just huddled together not munching at all. Will try again Tomo I guess it'll take a bit of getting used to. Feels pretty sturdy but will peg it down I think, don't want to take any risks.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 15-Mar-14 21:05:09

Aw , I hope they enjoyed their grass Gingerbics
Did you give them a box or tunnel to hide in (even my lardy assed boars like to hide away) or a cover on the run to shade them.

It takes a while for them to suss that they are safe in a run, in their minds they are outside and outside means you could be somethings lunch.

(My young boar spent 99% of his first visit to the big run scheeching for his step dad, . He was 7 weeks old. He's a red eyed. He came from a Rescue so he was very dependant on our older boar. Every time GP1 was two steps away, he wheeked. GP1 ran back. It must've been hard work for both grin )

They will settle and explore. And they've got months of lovely grazing to look forward to.

Gingerbics Sun 16-Mar-14 06:55:51

Hi 70.yes they had a tunnel, a snuggle sack and a little bridge so plenty of hidey holes.one half of the run is sheltered and i made an additional 'sun screen' with a propped up plastic sledge on outside of run, thought they'd prefer that to tiny raybans!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now