Talk

Advanced search

Where are all the guinea folk??

(67 Posts)
guineapiglet Wed 26-Feb-14 18:54:37

Come on out, where are you all??

Have been round to guinea 'nephews' today, they are out in their run shock during the time of day when it wasn't hailstoning, and having a wonderful time running round squeaking grin.. I even had a cuddle with lovely blond boy Boris, took them some dandelions and lush long grass. Big boys now squeak when they hear my voice, Boris goes into hiding, as obviously prefers his pellets and can't be tempted out by grass... yet.... but I am working on it! The two fighting brothers are now BFFs again, outside in very large run, and Boris and less arsey brother also get on, but not all three of them..... boys eh? Three girls together fine, boys, not so good....

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 26-Feb-14 19:14:18

D'you Auntieguineapiglet even if BorisPig doesn't ever get 'on' with his two step brothers, he's in a much much better place than he was before.

I always think it's a very artificial environment for male guinea-pigs to live as two boars. Good that they have company and no worry about X number of piglets brought into the world. But not how they'd choose.

My two don't know any better. GP1 had GP2 all his life. GP3 came from breeder-Rescue-GP1.
They cope grin

I just happened to be walking down the garden with a bowl and scissors and cut some fresh grass (as you do). The boys were wheeking when I was outside their door, Bless them.

I'm going to leave them out in their Pighouse tonight with their little squishy heatpads and their radiator on low (lots of hay too). It's been really mild here , but I'll play it by ear and bring them in if it gets chilly over the next few days.

GP3 was judgely sitting by an empty salad bowl this morning (the same bowl was brimful of veg last night )
He's very envy that your nephews are out in their run. They're in danger of being soaked into the mud grin

fortifiedwithtea Wed 26-Feb-14 22:31:35

The fortified pigs have been on grass cutting duties Monday and Tuesday. They only have the big run now. With so much grass they have been little poo machines working overtime. Still its all good fertiliser. They have been enjoying their Christmas toy but not interested in the ramp.

Coco gets assertive when a new paper bag is in the hutch. She makes sure she has first go. She is such a submissive little thing until she sees a bag, then all change shock

And the girls are made me look a liar. SIL give DH big bag of veg scraps which included sprouts. They won't eat the sprouts I said. Little buggers ate the lot hmm

Love hearing about your nephewpigs guineapiglet. I'm sure it won't be long before Boris is eating grass from your hand smile

FernieB Thu 27-Feb-14 08:01:10

I often see people wandering round their gardens with scissors and bowls clearly wondering what to do. If only they had GPs wink

My boys are jealous at those mowing pigs. They keep telling me they've finished hibernating and are ready for work now. It's just too chilly at the moment even though we have had some lovely sunny days. I don't want to risk it with Smooth's arthritis. Also they would turn into farm pigs with the mud. So they are having to content themselves with conservatory runs and illicit raids on Current Bun's new box.

FernieB Thu 27-Feb-14 08:02:21

There is nothing more judgey than a hungry pig. Smooth likes to stand with front paws on the edge of his empty salad bowl and stare at me. I soon get the message.

guineapiglet Thu 27-Feb-14 08:40:02

lovely to hear all your news and quick catch up with you all. back to ark weather here too.... love the sprout story, bet they were farty afterwards...whoops I mean gassy.

fernie and 70, won't be long now before spring springs, I too think it was a bit damp (!) underfoot but the squeals of delight made up for it.

right back to ark building....xx

KnappShappeyShipwright Thu 27-Feb-14 08:48:27

My two boars are 9 months old and really getting the hang of being pigs. I've also been out with scissors and a bowl getting them grass this morning. We're in Somerset and it's way too boggy for them to be let out, despite the sunshine - I hope it dries out for them soon.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 28-Feb-14 20:19:24

I bought a bag of dried dandelion snacky food (at great expense considering it's weeds ) for the boars but the little buggers haven't touched it. hmm

They do have bedding hay, naice hay , a veg plate and their normal pellets/water. So maybe they're not that fussed ?

I've put some boiled water on to soften it and I'll let them try it when it's cooled (and if they don't eat it, I'll need to slip it into DH food )

FernieB Sat 01-Mar-14 09:22:28

My lads won't eat nice hay. They much prefer supermarket stuff.

guineapiglet Sat 01-Mar-14 12:13:14

70 - would be interested to know how much you pay for dried dandelions, looking round my weed filled front garden, I reckon I could make a small killing if I went into business, they are they only things which seem to thrive in this never ending rain!!

fernie I used to get a big bale of hay from our farmer friends in Pott Shrigley...... £5 a huge bale, which lasted for months, and provided endless play and pooping opportunities - they much preferred this to any 'subsitutes'.. I dread to think about what will happen to all the cereal crops with all this rain for next year sad

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Mar-14 14:50:05

It was £3 for 90g and they still didn't eat it soaked (mardy little articles)

They were out on the lawn for 15 minutes (in the small run, DD on 'watch' with her iPhone but she was there )

GP1 was face down and jaws working before his paws were on the ground.
GP3 was a bit confused Eh? hmm "I don't like this" until he saw GP1 scoffing then he started.

Of course within 12 seconds of going back in, GP1 did a huuuuge pee on the clean paper <<sigh>>

I'm not looking forward to sourcing hay this year either sad

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Mar-14 14:54:52

In my garden the nettles and the dandelions grow together. I get stung picking 'lions' for the pigs.
Ahh the suffering to get something nice (like The Little Mermaid when she gets legs but every step is like walking on broken glass)
Guineas are meh when I tell them this. They haven't read it hmm

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Mar-14 15:32:24

grin I'm reading this with fluffy girl (Bella) on my lap in her piggy bed - she keeps poking her nose over the top to get my attention.

DD is about to set up the indoor run and bring Luna in so they can both have a run about and a big bowl of veg. Still too muddy for outdoor run and very temperamental cloud bursts over the last few days.

Can I just ask a quick question of the MN piggy experts? Is it usual for Abyssinians to be quite slightly built? Our girls are the same age but Bella, who is possibly Peruvian is very chunky by comparison. They both eat well and are happy and healthy but having not had guinea pigs before am not sure if the size difference is normal.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Mar-14 15:40:51

Dum - yes Abbys are slighter. I had Abbys as a child then a smooth (who was pg so 2 smooths) then more Abbys then a Peruvian.

GP1 is smooth GP2 was Abbeyesque ( not 100% Abby grin ) but he was much smaller, shorter nose, never squeaked but made little grunty grubbling noises if he found something he liked; and it felt like he was a head & rump with rubber in the middle , all flexible grin

GP3 (Rex) is solid (not fat) more like a rabbit.

Our garden is still a bit marshy at the bottom, I put the run near the house and gave them their bathmat to sit on (spoiled) to keep their bellies dry.

They are so cute on a petbed, they take to the life of comfort and spoiling with amazing ease smile

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Mar-14 16:05:34

Ah, that's reassuring.

I'm sure neither of ours are 100% anything but Bella has long silky hair with a plume on her bum, and Luna has definite rosettes although not the full 8 that a 'proper' Abby would have.

They are fab though - have put them in their run with food and wooden box, on its side with a door cut in the bottom.

They have just necked a large handful of coriander and are going absolutely mental!grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Mar-14 16:26:21

GP2 was too soft furred to be a proper Abby- DD said his fur looked like you blew into it, and sprayed hairspray to hold it,
I think he had 2 maybe 3 'rosettes'

Careful with the coriander, my guinea sons can eat their own bodyweight in parsely (and with GP3 that's alot of bodyweight) but we have to limit them.

Coriander made my GP1 and GP2 nasty/fighty (some herbs are like guinea-pig cocaine )

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Mar-14 16:52:32

You may have a point about 'guinea pig' cocaine.

Ours have just done about 100 circuits of the run and are now flaked out in the corner.

alemci Sat 01-Mar-14 17:01:19

Our solo GP has been out in the garden today and inside eating his tea.

Meglet Sat 01-Mar-14 17:11:22

I'm a piggy person. I had them for 30yrs but am in a don't have the space / pre-house move break.

My last elderly piggy (once part of a pair) died 3yrs ago so I haven't bought new ones yet. I'll be gutted if my next house doesn't have piggy space. Mowing the lawn drives me round the bend when I could have piggies doing it for me.

Do you know how sad it is to have to pop carrot tops / the last chunk of cucumber in the compost bin stead of a hutch <gets out violins>.

alemci Sat 01-Mar-14 17:17:39

yes I think our one may be the last but won't rule out another gp coming to find us like he did. He is very soothing and part of the family.

fridayfreedom Sat 01-Mar-14 17:22:27

Big pig must know I'm reading this a he's squeaking for my attention!
We lost smaller pig a few weeks ago sad( he lost the use of his back legs due to a collapsed disc. Had to be pts with me sobbing in the vets!
Big pig went speed dating at the rescue and now has another piggy friend who is so cute but a bit of a scaredy pig at the moment.
Dd is going to Uni in sept so have threatened to turn her room into a guinea pig room smile))

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Mar-14 17:31:53

Have been enjoying piggy cuddles with Luna very cosy on my shoulder.

I say 'have been' as she's just tinkled straight down my cleavage!

Just as well she's cute grin .

FernieB Sat 01-Mar-14 17:52:19

Lovely Luna confused

I do sympathise with all the Southern GP's - crop prices will be affected by the bad weather. Having see all the pictures on the news I do feel guilty as we have had a lovely mild winter (so far) with a normal amount of rain. All the bad weather seems to have bypassed us. I've probably jinxed it now and we'll have an awful summer hmm

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Mar-14 20:29:43

I'm threatening GP1 with a fate worse than a bath if he pees me. I have to drive out to the late night Tesco for veg which I don't want to do if I have boar pee on my leggings.

DH got peed by GP3 yesterday. No warning dance, just a monsoon.

tsk tsk

guineapiglet Sat 01-Mar-14 20:47:34

grin at monsoon!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now