Talk

Advanced search

Think my sweet little hamster is dying :((

(15 Posts)
Theresadogonyourballs Fri 21-Feb-14 22:36:01

He's about 2.5 years old so not surprising really, but I do feel sad as he's an ace hamster, really friendly and active, never bitten anyone. He was fine a couple of days ago, came out while we cleaned his cage, had a run around in his ball and climbed all over us on the sofa, so no problems then, in fact I commented to DH how healthy he was for an old boy sad.
I put food in last night, and was surprised to see this morning that he'd hardly taken any of it, (usually cleans the bowl!). I looked in his nest and could see that he was asleep but breathing normally, so I left him in peace.
Tonight I heard him drinking so went over to see him and he seems to have lost the use of his back legs. He doesn't want his food either. I gave him a gentle stroke and he's gone back to his nest now. I feel horrible not taking him to the vet tonight, but they charge £195 just to see them, (we had to take our cat OOH once), and we just cannot afford it. I'm as sure as I can be that he's not in pain, and I will take him to our regular vet in the morning, if he's still with us.
DD will be so sad, we've only had him 6 months, we got given him as his original family lost interestangry. I hope he enjoyed his life with us. sadsad

BrennanHasAMangina Fri 21-Feb-14 22:41:37

We lost our hamster in the autumn at 1.8 years. He stopped using his wheel and started drinking a lot and then I just found him lifeless one morning. There's no PC way to say this, but I wouldn't take him to the vet. 2.5 years is very elderly for a hamster and the vet will likely do nothing. If he was young and you suspected injury then it would be different. Maybe just give him extra cuddles and treats and take some pictures.

BrennanHasAMangina Fri 21-Feb-14 22:44:40

And flowers. The saddest bit was seeing how upset my DD was sad.

Dillydollydaydream Fri 21-Feb-14 22:48:56

Aww sounds like you've given him a lovely, happy life.

Theresadogonyourballs Fri 21-Feb-14 22:52:16

Hi Brennan, thank you for replying, you've made me feel better. If i do take him to the vet, it will only be to help him on his way - can't bear the thought of him lingering for days with paralysis, poor little guy. DD will be sad, am dreading telling her sad. TBH, I am willing him to curl up in his nest and slip away peacefully tonight.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Feb-14 22:52:45

If he's stopped eating and his legs have given out, and you sense that he's on the road out , then let him cuddle up in his house with everything familiar. Your voices, the sounds of the house.

If he goes, (and rodents do tend to go quickly) then he'll be secure in his house.

IKWYM, the stress of a vet trip isn't really what you want, unless he's in pain and you want to have him PTS.

See how he is tomorrow, but it might be the end of his road.
And think about the quality of life you've given him, not the quantity. That's the only drawback when you rescue an older animal.

sad

Theresadogonyourballs Fri 21-Feb-14 22:53:26

Cross posted Dilly, thank you for your post.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 21-Feb-14 22:55:37

Aw hoping for a peaceful passing sad sounds like he had a life filled with love. He won't forget that. X

Theresadogonyourballs Fri 21-Feb-14 22:55:40

Crossed again 70, thank you, you are right I think he'll be happier here. I'm just so worried about causing suffering. I think I'll reassess in the morning, and hope he's slipped away by then.

Theresadogonyourballs Fri 21-Feb-14 22:56:17

Thank you Giles, I do hope so, he was very much a member of the gang!

teenagetantrums Sat 22-Feb-14 10:39:23

Hope he passes away quietly, we have a hamster that is over two years old, not sure how old as we agreed to look after her for two weeks nad the owner wouldn't have her back. I thought she was dying the other day was staggering around her cage looking like she had been drinking, but was fine a few hours later. She will be our fourth rodent and the others died within a few hours of us noticing they were looking unwell.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Feb-14 10:58:28

How is little hammy today? Did he make it through the night or is he eating seeds in the big hamster wheel in the sky? sad x

Theresadogonyourballs Sat 22-Feb-14 13:31:34

He's in hamster heaven now sadthanks. He was still with us this morning, back legs actually looked a bit better, but he was very wobbly and unhappy looking. I popped him down to our lovely vet, who confirmed he was not in a good way, and also spotted a tumour on his chest, so he was quickly PTS.envy <--- heart from DD to show she misses him - she's been really brave. We buried him in the garden with a picture DD drew of him. Having cuddles on the sofa now. Thank you for all your lovely messages of support. X

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Feb-14 14:41:36

Sorry he's gone now but glad he is no longer suffering.
I'm sure he loves the picture your dd drew and is busy getting fat on his fave foods in hamster heaven.

Well done to your dd for being so brave. X

wine and cake and a hot choc brew for your dd.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 22-Feb-14 16:23:51

Aww very sad but not unexpected.
When these little creatures decide to 'go', they don't hang around.

I think it;s amazing too, that even with a tumour he was still perky and active, eating and poohing. But I guess, it catches up and that's it.
Your hamster would've had the best six months of his life and you were able to give him the peaceful end he deserved.

Bye - to The Bridge , hamster .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now