Talk

Advanced search

Threes a crowd with my piggies

(10 Posts)
sandiy Tue 18-Feb-14 20:12:01

Jack and Brownie have always been close similar sized boys,Nuddy who was a cage mate when we got them was always a bit of an outsider.Nuddy is the smallest rough haired boy.Long story short, jack has got scabby face and looks like he has been fighting.I brought all three in to the sitting room to see what was happening,Nuddy who is half the size of Jack has been beating him up.Ive seperated them for now but,what to do,Do I try to find a friend for Nuddy who is not at all impressed on being on his own or keep them seperated and along side? I've also got another two Boars in a seperated cage, I was hoping in the summer they could all go out together but introductions have failed.They do chat happily together.I don t think Nuddy will be happy to join them But is it worth a try.Or shall I resign myself to having 6 piggies in 3 hutches.They are in the garage but I hate hearing muddy squeaking for Brownie who he got on all right with.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 19-Feb-14 00:57:03

Your pigs are all boars? (If I'm reading this right)

In your situation, I would get a baby boar for Nuddy so that he has his own companion.Rescues will let you Boar Match if you find one that has some young boars and take your pig there.

Your two 'single' boars if they can chat are probably best kept as side-by-siders.

We introduced a 6 week piglet to our boar after his brother died. They have been 99.9% perfect ( of course the Piglet went through a bit of a teenage stage and is now twice the size of his 'StepDad' . Piglet is a Rex , now 8 months old)

I always think with boars that they lead sort of seperate lives, they like to know each other is there but they don'y feel the need to snuggle up (well that's what mine are like) smile

Just don't be tempted to introduce a sow into your BoyZone- that way madness lies grin

(We got our Piglet from a Rescue. I phoned and said I needed a very young boar. They had some that were still with their mum, but we got our little weaned Piglet. And he's luffley )

fortifiedwithtea Wed 19-Feb-14 01:24:02

Totally agree with 70. Nuddy (love that name) needs to date a boar baby to be his bff.

I have 3 sows. My bereaved girl was matched up with 2 new friends at a local rescue. All piggy personalities are different. My original Naughty Girl is bff with Millie Pig, who is a bossy girl but Naughty is used to handling that sort. Coco is independent, a bit intimidated by Millie but gets along with Naughty on days when Naughty wants a different bff confused. Naughty and Coco likes cuddles with humans. Millie tries to escape human contact.

Three girls work. We don't have fights. We just have one flitting between who is her best friend hmm Like girls in primary school grin

Unfortunately a trio of boy guinea pigs rarely works.

sandiy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:28:36

I've kept Nuddy seperated from the others in a new smaller cage so he can come in during the evening,He is not impressed at being on this own and was chewing at the bars when he was out in the garden in his seperated enclosure to get in with the other piggies.I feel bad for him,the lady at the rescue centre where I get supply's says she will have him if it gets too much she keeps loads of boars in a massive free range enclosure.I think it may be that time of year as the other two boars not jack and Brownie have started squabbling,I'm now idly wondering if the others might be girls not boys (I took them when the old owner did nt want them anymore) so took it at face value that they were boys.Might explain a lot.How can you tell do they have furry balls to spot or something.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Feb-14 15:15:45

It may well be the time of year sandiy.
I know last year when we had GP1 and GP2 they got a bit narky with each other .
Now we have GP1 and GP3 , the youngster is being a bit rumblestrutty (GP1 is hmm not impressed)

WRT checking. Males have quite obvious balls (not furry grin )

When I got GP3 he was 6 weeks old so no bollocks to speak of but a gentle squeeze will protrude their penis- even with a tiny piglet.
(You apply gentle pressure to the sides. )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Feb-14 15:16:50

Unless they've been neutered- but you'd still see their willy if you give them a squeeze.

fortifiedwithtea Fri 21-Feb-14 15:33:55

Not furry confused You jest surely 70

Old Boy had magnificent furry balls displayed aired at every opportunity shock grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Feb-14 15:52:14

I can definately state that GP3s 'nads are skin coloured with minimal fur (he does tuck them away politely under his rather ample arse but , yes, skin)

GP2 had very neat black 'nads (he was jet black) but liked to lie on his side in the run 'airing' them.

Like guineas ears. GP1 has hairy ears like a mad scientist, little tufty bits of fur sticking out. GP3, must more restrained.

(Though OB was 6yo, maybe with age they get furrier?)

fortifiedwithtea Fri 21-Feb-14 19:27:02

Oh I don't think they got furrier but definitely more droopy blush

And he smelt strongly of male guinea. Which was lovely hmm as his favourite place was too lay under my chin.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 21-Feb-14 22:06:03

Awww the aroma de boar grin

DD wafts her T-Shirt at me "Boars' Bum"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now