Talk

Advanced search

So, the hamster died...Any suggestions for another animal?

(9 Posts)
NinjaPenguin Fri 07-Feb-14 17:35:11

DD had stared to plan his 4th birthday this week, he was 3yrs11mnths and called Simon. She's now decided that she will give him a big funeral. He's limp but cold. She has asked me to read the funeral prayers (we aren't religious) and has made him a cross out of the wooden sticks he gnawed on.

We've enjoyed hamster owning and Syrians are lovely, but we were thinking of larger animals. I was thinking of rats, as one of my foster parents owned some. I was only there for six months, but they were great, adorable, friendly and fun. The cages look large and expensive though, but are rats a good pet? DC are aged 6-13, mature and the older two in particular were very diligent and good at playing and taking the hamster out, making sure the cage was clean and the water was changed etc;.

woodrunner Fri 07-Feb-14 19:12:53

How about guinea pigs? They are very gentle and affectionate. They enjoy being cuddled and brushed (if you get the long haired ones) and they squeak and chat away. They have very distinctive personalities. Ours are nearly six years old and still going strong.

Google the Peruvians and Abyssinians if you like long haired ones. They are super cute.

OnceUponAThyme Fri 07-Feb-14 20:33:24

rats are great pets. you can train them to answer to name and stuff. they're friendly and love to come out and see everyone. I would reccomend smile

Floralnomad Fri 07-Feb-14 20:36:08

Rats are by far the best caged pet for children , but they can have lots of health problems so buy them from a proper breeder of fancy rats rather than a pet shop to get nice well bred ones .

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 07-Feb-14 21:50:16

<Disclaimer,> 100% guinea-pig mum

but- if you love the agility of hamsters and their antics, you'll be a tad disenchanted with guinea-pigs.
they need alot of space but unlike rats who can have levels, so not so much floorspace; guinea-pigs don't really do ramps or upper floors.

i have a 14yo ds who does nothing for the piggies. they belong to dd and i.

the only downside with rats that i can see is they are very clever. i can see past the tails. i love their feet.
i have male guinea-pigs but if i bought rats, i'd go for females personally, all the males i've seen have been sleeping while the females run and swing about.

so as a non-rat owner, i'd say rats.

btw- do your dc want another animal yet

dody typing, i've got the young pig. he's one i need to 'hold' grin

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Feb-14 21:54:21

YY to lovely ratties! How about a bird cage or fish tank with mesh lid?
I loved my ratty boys. Came when called. Snuggled into my neck (we took walks!) one loved to try and sneak a drink. Baileys was his favourite!!!

ConfusedPixie Fri 07-Feb-14 22:38:01

Definitely get rats! I got some a few weeks ago and love my two boys already smile when I get home I can link you to the cage we got off you like? It was around 50 for it I think, a lot cheaper than branded ones but works well.

You can find rat breeders on the nfrs website, I got mine from supposedly one of the best but wouldn't recommend her tbh. DP had to travel two hours away to get them though as everybody closer had all of their current litters booked up already so it's worth asking around at least a month before!

NinjaPenguin Fri 07-Feb-14 23:07:29

My friwnd's DC have guinea pigs and they're lovely, I quite like how they're vocal and wheek at you for food, and just sit in your lap and stay (well, her two guinea pigs do) but not enough space, sadly sad

They definitelt want another animal, nt a hamster, but DD decided it wasn't fair to get one straight away. And, if we are getting rats (the posts are certainly encouraging) I'd want some time to do some research and find a good breeder, and sell the hamster cage too.

ConfusedPixie Wed 12-Feb-14 14:00:35

I'd suggest keeping the hamster cage (if it's a good size, eg tall enough for a rat to stand in) if you do get rats just in case one gets ill and needs to be separated or something. Apparently rats are okay in them for short periods, as long as they aren't their actual home, iyswim? Though everything I have read leads me to believe that aq

We have this cage:
www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/little-friends-narrow-hamster-cage-p-16514.html
And it's fairing really well, the boys like it, lots of space for toys, we even have a wine rack in there at the moment.

I'm actually looking at hamster cages at the moment to create an additional level above their cage for them to play in but also where they can be safe whilst we're cleaning the cage and things, so you might find it handy for something like that too.

We're getting two more later in the year, two girls this time, but our boys are currently cuddling and snoozing which is very cute.

Good luck with the research smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now