Talk

Advanced search

Smoothpig has poorly leg (again)!

(19 Posts)
FernieB Fri 07-Feb-14 14:42:31

This time it's a front paw. Luckily the vet couldn't find anything sinister but he had to have an anti-inflammatory injection which made him squeal confused. He's back on his anti-inflammatory meds which he loved last time. He's just wondering if any of the SFA pigs would like to send him some get well soon parsley parcels to speed his recovery wink.

He keeps giving me the mournful 'I'm ill and only something from the fridge can help' eyes.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 07-Feb-14 15:11:23

Awww poor SmoothPig (DailyMail Sad Face)

Is is Smooth who's a bit arthritic and a teeeeny bit chunky?
Poor soul might have cricked a muscle ?

He needs rest, lots of parsley,and cuddles according to GP1 (who isn't a qualified vet you understand)

GP3 recommends hydrotherapy, warm water swimming to ease his muscles. No , I don't think he'd enjoy that GP3

GP1 will send an Emergency Parsely&Carrots with Leaves Parcel.

From one slightly frayed round the edges, creaky when he walks Smooth Boar to another.

FernieB Fri 07-Feb-14 16:04:38

He says he's just 'a teeney bit chunky', the vet nurses looked at him and said 'ooh we love chubby pigs!' He is not speaking to them now.

fortifiedwithtea Fri 07-Feb-14 17:42:03

Joking aside, in the summer he might enjoy a little warm paddle in a washing up bowl. You know how much Old Boy loved his Johnson baby baths with leg massages grin

Meanwhile could he sit on a small wheaty bag? The vets lent us one when Fatimus came home after her op.

Get well soon Smooth from me and the Fortified Pigs. Or course Fernie must make a trip to the fridge at your every request wink smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 07-Feb-14 17:43:49

If he's fallen out with the Vet Nurse for the "chubby ist " comment then his Judgey Pants will be hoiked right up his bum cheeks for the Vet who gave him an injection.
Did they check his temperature? That would send his right over the edge.

<<Virtual Boar Chain of Despair and Revenge>>

FernieB Fri 07-Feb-14 19:08:00

Thanks 70 and fortified. I did wonder about a warm water paddle but as he thinks water is evil I'm not sure how it would go down. He may have a massage tomorrow.

guineapiglet Sat 08-Feb-14 19:32:52

Hi Fernie, hope Smooth has improved and you are happy he is recovering? Hope he has got you running around back and forth to the magic fridge?

<wonders if it was vet nurse who used to tend to my guineas? They used to run and hide when she came round, petrrrrrrrrrrrrrifed of her! - there really is no such thing as a chubby guinea, surely!>

Its not much longer to go before he can be out and abour again, to take his mind off things, - try and keep him fed and entertained, and cossetted, much like we have to do for our menfolk who don't seem to be able to cope with illness <with the cold I have had all week>.

<eyes husband bitterly>

XX

FernieB Sat 08-Feb-14 21:58:55

Thanks guineapiglet - Smooth read the label on his meds and it says to give with food. He is taking this very seriously and has a substantial meal before and after. Scruffy joins in with the meal as a selfless act of solidarity.

FernieB Sat 08-Feb-14 21:59:45

Can't wait until they can go out - our lawn is starting to look like it needs mowing grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Feb-14 22:13:06

Good Boy Scruffy, he's putting a brave face on for the sake of his ailing cagemate "Well I don't eat enough to keep a bird alive but I'll force down this cucumber.........<<sigh>> "

Our lawn looks like a Capybara Habitat, the boys were very chattery and judgey when I carried their transport box (over the tree that fell down this week) .
They scolded me for allowing a cold draught in through the door but got over themselves sufficiently to quaff down a plate of fresh cut grass.

FernieB Mon 10-Feb-14 12:42:08

Nice that they're prepared to forgive and forget wink

Am slightly worried that Smooth likes his meds a little too much. I don't need to hold him at all and he licks his lips when he sees the syringe. He laps it up eagerly and looks for more. Should I be looking into rehab?

On the plus side his leg seems much better. I'm starting to suspect his limp was fake. shock

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 10-Feb-14 21:04:19

I'm starting to suspect his limp was fake grin D'you credit guinea-pigs with that much intelligence?
He's getting better because of all the love and attention he's had , bless him. The medication is just an aside (and the shock of an injection. He's probably thinking he might get another one if he doesn;t look lively)

He sounds like my DC with the purple Calpol (the one for infants). Outside Boots I was syringing "Baby Drugs" into my 14 yo DS when he had his dental brace fitted.And he was gratefully guzzling it.

<<Sings Amy Winehouse songs to self>>

guineapiglet Wed 12-Feb-14 08:37:21

Lol at fake limp.......
Has Smooth been attending drama classes?!?

Maybe a touch of the rheumatics after all the flipping rain < <carries on building ark>

Just off to see the lovely Boris for a cuddle. He is such a happy rescue guinea...

guineapiglet Wed 12-Feb-14 08:39:35

Ps. Lol too at capybara habitat 70 could this be a new enterprise for you?!? smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 12-Feb-14 10:58:49

I think Capybaras might be The Next Big Thing.

The size of dogs, so you can take them out for a walk.
Inoffensive guinea-pig type pooh.

And it could sleep in our Pighouse and keep the boars warm - bonus.

OTOH, I don't fancy the pooh eating envy <-- vom
Being accudently bitten by one as it launches itself at the apple I'm scoffing
The fighting of males (two guinea boys are scarey enough when they scrap)

<<Hugs>> to Boris smile

guineapiglet Wed 12-Feb-14 15:22:50

70 if I was competent with technology I would send you the photo I have on my notice board it is an all American family of four each with own pet guineapig in their arms. In front of them, on his/her own mat is their massive pet capybara who is basically a gigantic (!) guineapug with spotty neck chief round his neck. He is adorable but makes pet guineas look tiny!!

I love the photo taken from an article about unusual pets. Apparently he is very friendly, comes into the house, is a veggie so very cheap to feed and they have a wonderful rose garden thanks to his mega poops..... Can't see one of those in P@H somehow.......! Xx

guineapiglet Wed 12-Feb-14 15:23:41

Guineapug????

Now there's a whole new breed !!

FernieB Wed 12-Feb-14 18:46:39

Love the whole idea of a guineapug. Presume it would eat meat and veggies an probably the Yorkshire puds as well. I would also love a capybara although my absolute fave animal is a quokka - always smiling and very cute.

I've decided to embrace Smooth's addiction to his meds so now I just wave the syringe in his general direction and he comes running. Scruffy gets a bit jealous.

I am taking

FernieB Wed 12-Feb-14 18:47:43

I'm not taking anything - don't know why that is there. Maybe I should join Smooth on his good stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now