Talk

Advanced search

Baby bunnies advice

(6 Posts)
teenagetantrums Tue 04-Feb-14 14:22:22

Ok so my friend got two bunnies turns out they are boy and girl not both boys, yesterday she found three babies, she says as they are eating they can leave their mum, from what i see on Google they can eat from two weeks old, im not sure she is right. Also she has no cage at the moment they live in the Wendy house, (which is how she hadn't noticed them she doesn't ever go in there) so the parent rabbits are together all the time, im pretty sure mummy rabbit will be pregnant again soon but how long? i love my friend but i wish she would listen to me when i say you shouldn't get more more pets.

FernieB Tue 04-Feb-14 14:42:52

They are weaned at about 8 weeks old. Mum only feeds once or twice a day (they are not attentive mothers). The babies need to be kept warm - presumably mum has made a nest for them. Mum will be pregnant again fairly quickly unless both her and Dad are neutered.

Sounds like your friend doesn't know much about rabbits. They shouldn't be in a Wendy house that she hardly ever goes in - they should be monitored a lot more. They should both be neutered not only to prevent pregnancies but for their health. They need annual vaccinations. She shied go and talk to a vet/vet nurse who will advise.

teenagetantrums Wed 05-Feb-14 11:47:41

Thanks, i don't know why she got them really, she is looking to rehome them now, but obviously no one wants them, they are pretty much ignored, will see if i can at least get her to take them to the vet and get them nurtured.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 05-Feb-14 11:58:24

Poor Rabbits sad

Her (or rather , the rabbits) best bet is contact a Rescue.
The doe could well be pg again.
The adults will need neutered (the buck would be easier to neuter first but I'd guess they are still fertile for a while after) . He'd need to be kept apart from the doe in the off chance that she isn't already pg.
And the baby bunnies will need to be sexed.

If they haven't been neutered then they might not be innoculated either.
It's going to cost £££ to have all this done.
Would she be persuaded to surrender them (with a hefty surrender fee because the Rescue will do it)

If she rehomes them herself they might end up with the first person who'll take them, possibly as clueless as her.

Unfortunately rabbits are the most vunerable domestic animal WRT being ignored. They are more independant that most other small furries. But it doesn't mean they can be parked in the garden and left to get on with it.

You could point her in the right direction by phoning some Rescues (they might have a waiting list) and some vets to gauge the price of rabbit neutering/ innoculations.
Because those two rabbits will quickly expand their family........sad

teenagetantrums Wed 05-Feb-14 12:30:04

I have given her a list of numbers but they are so full, i bet the mum is pregnant again, she has no money and previous form for taking on pets without thinking about it, she has had cats, dogs, and birds in the past and always gets rid of them when the kids get bored. I would take them if i could afford it but am out of work and have enough problem feeding my kids and cats without adding extra animals to the mix. I will see if i can convince to at least separate the adults while she sorts it out, i think it might be a late now.

Cerisier Wed 05-Feb-14 12:50:17

Poor bunnies- but on the plus side at least they aren't being kept in a small cage in solitary confinement.

As Fernie and 70 say they need a lot more care and attention. They need neutering and the babies (and really the parents) will need re-homing with owners who know what they are doing or are prepared to do the research and learn.

Why do people not research how to keep pets? These days the information is easily available on the internet. Bunnies are wonderful pets, but they need and deserve care, time and love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now