Talk

Advanced search

HAMSTER EMERGENCY...

(27 Posts)
MrsBigD Thu 25-May-06 20:40:01

got 2 dwarf russions about 3 weeks ago. They were in the same cage and got on fine. Last weekend we've noticed that one of them (Pumpkin) is very aggressive against the other one (Inti) - don't ask...dd named them and names keep changing .

No idea wheather they're male/female.

Today we noticed that Inti rolled up to sleep on one of the platforms in plain sight. I thought they like to cuddle into something/hide when going to sleep? Seems like Pumpkin has evicted her from the nest.

Any idea what might be a reason for this? We did enlarge/change the cage at the weekend so they have more space/running tubes etc.

We've offered Inti 'her' own nest (for the time being a refunctioned running wheel with nesting material and also have just put some material at the spot where she was curling up.

Not sure but she seems a bit under the weather and one leg might be a bit sore but she's walking on it.

Tempted to take her to the vet tomorrow. Problem there is she really doesn't like me and bites no matter how gently gently I approach - though puts up with dd and ds standing there and screeching... go figure! Kids are to small to handle hamsters on their own and dh doesn't get home till evening... So how do I get her into her travelling cage???

Ta

charliecat Thu 25-May-06 20:41:56

Big pair of thick gloves for your last question
I have 2 rats, 1 bullys the other, the skinny one has teeth mark scars.

MrsBigD Thu 25-May-06 20:57:39

at the big gloves... the haster is so small I'd probably crush it! but it's worth a thought

Piffle Thu 25-May-06 21:02:19

I'm sorry but that post is pure comedy Mrs BigD

ntt Thu 25-May-06 21:08:06

I think hamsters are solitary and prefer to live alone don't they?

ntt Thu 25-May-06 21:08:44

and boys have a pointed rump, girls' more rounded (I think)

WishICouldGiveUpWork Thu 25-May-06 21:20:30

Could get her into her travelling cage by using a mug to scoop her into?-then "pour" into travelling cage?

Most hamsters are solitary and should be kept apart owing to fighting,EXCEPT Russian Dwarfs....not sure where that leaves you but reckon you are a lovely hamster Mummy

JemimaBobbins Thu 25-May-06 21:51:17

Our hamster used to bite me - I used a kitchen roll tube to get him into his ball each day until he got used to me.

MrsBigD Thu 25-May-06 22:05:51

Piffle... I guess is sounds comical doesn't it

Wishcouldgiveupwork... that's what we read up on and found that russian dwarfs (hamsters! ) don't net to be kept in solitary

We just keep an eye on 'her'

As for the rumps... they both seem to have gotten stockier since we've got them... maybe babies on the way??? as far as I've read they carry their young 28 days or so... we'll find outnext week then LOL

WishICouldGiveUpWork Thu 25-May-06 22:30:20

PMSL at the thought of you living with a couple of Russian Dwarfs (not of he hamster variety)

hunkermunker Thu 25-May-06 22:40:36

Hey, MrsBigD - we used to have these - are they the Winter Whites with the stripe down their back, rather than the teeny tan-coloured Roborovskis? We've had both sorts.

Winter Whites can be v aggressive and bitey - v territorial. We tried with two sisters in one large cage, but they used to fight and we were worried what we'd find in the morning (ie a dead one) and so we separated them and they were MUCH happier. We also had two Robos (sisters again - don't like male hamsters as their bollocks are cold and clammy and too "draggy" when they play on your hands...!) and they were very happy living together, apart from some brief episodes of "hamster boxing" which were v funny and nothing more than a bit of hind-leg standing and dabbing with front paws.

You say you don't know if they're male or female - DEFINITELY separate them unless you don't mind having lots of little baby hamsters soon (although if you can't see huge draggy testicles, they're probably girls!).

As for the travelling cage - put it into the main cage, put some bedding and some treats into it, don a gardening glove and wait till she's in it - it takes patience, but if you can't work out a system for getting them out of the cage, you'll never be able to keep it clean either.

But I'd separate them. It means another cage, but it also means you won't have howls of despair from your children because one of the hamsters has been battered overnight.

HTH - will see what else I can remember (btw - have you given them millet sprays to eat - ours used to LOVE them and it's v funny to watch them eat them in a totally frenzied manner!).

Twinkie1 Thu 25-May-06 22:42:42

God hamsetsr are nasty.

Dp went to garden centre the other day - saw one thought it cute asked DD if she wanted it (she is 5 what do you think the answer was!!!) and now we are the owners of a rabid animal that I have to feed and clean!!!

Has bit DS countless times - not htat he cares - he seems to find the blood running out of his finger quite fascinating!!! (even rang the dr'd yesterday to see if he needed tetunus jab!!!)

WishICouldGiveUpWork Thu 25-May-06 23:07:04

Millet is great-they also LOVE spiders or mealworms (if you can face feeding them alive)-I always used tweezers....bit gruesome really,can't believe I used to do that.

NotAnOtter Thu 25-May-06 23:09:06

dp says 'never' put hamsters together you MUST keep them in separate cages regardless of their sex - they are solitary animals by nature and like it that way! Sorry but you may need to invest in another cage for their happiness! hth

hunkermunker Thu 25-May-06 23:10:30

Sometimes Winter Whites will live together, but you need a large cage - and Roborovskis prefer to be in pairs or more - again, dependent on cage size.

But Syrian hamsters, never house them together. Or you'll end up with one big hamster in the morning!

quanglewangle Thu 25-May-06 23:23:36

Get gerbils. Put them in a fish tank of peat, watch them happily tunnelling and only clean them out every 3 months. Sorted.

MrsBigD Fri 26-May-06 00:19:28

thanks for all the input. Have a large cage (rotostak stuff) and have now separated them just i case. Will check on inti in the morning cause I think she's limping a bit, and seems to have trouble climbing up one of the tubes.

DH just came in and said she already looks happier

The aggressive one is coloured a bit like a chipmonk if that makes sense and the battered one is sort of dirty white. Don't think they're robos... too cheap

hunkermunker Fri 26-May-06 00:27:14

Think they're more likely to be Campbells Russians - some pics on this site here

Spagblog Fri 26-May-06 06:20:23

Ahhh, reminds me of my little chappie. I had a winter white called Rambo when I was little.
Only bit me twice. So cute...but agree with hunkermunker about the offputting draggy testical thing

MrsBigD Fri 26-May-06 07:47:37

thanks hunker Pumpkin looks more like a winter white as for inti 'she' looks like the white version under winter whites but hasn't got the distinctive stripe

Never mind though it's hamsters LOL we're not in it for breeding but for the kids to have pets and learn 'responsibility'

hunkermunker Fri 26-May-06 11:27:22

We've had three Winter Whites - one grey one, one almost black one (who went a beautiful white with brown tufts in the winter - like her name suggests!) and a white one with a very, very faint stripe. The white one was SO tame - she was a lovely hamster - the other two more bitey, but still very sweet - they were all v funny to watch and very active during the day (and night!).

Tempted to get another one... Hmm... Post a pic of them if you can, MrsBigD - would love to see them!

tortoiseshell Fri 26-May-06 11:34:01

Russian and Chinese hamsters can be kept together, but Syrians shouldn't be. Russian hamsters ime are vicious b*stards - we had a pair and could only get them out the cage to clean it wearing ski gloves! It's weird that Syrians are much friendlier to humans but will fight another hamster if housed together.

MrsBigD Fri 26-May-06 11:40:07

Hunkermunker... will see if I can find a picture that shows them properly... those little blighters move so fast LOL only worked out last night that I can change the shutter speed on my camera LOL

DH can get them out of the cage without major blood drawing, but if I get near them they scamper LOL... must be my scent or something silly like that.

MrsBigD Fri 26-May-06 12:00:29

HunkerMunker... here they are

Pumpkin

Inti

WishICouldGiveUpWork Fri 26-May-06 22:17:36

And how is Inti tonight?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: