Talk

Advanced search

Best baby guineas pigs diet ?

(9 Posts)
lostproperty Tue 21-May-13 07:50:23

Hi there

I hope you can help me ! I have 2 adorable baby guineas pigs ! I give them nuggets to eat and the occasional carrots to eat...

What else should I give ? What time ? What quantities ???

guineapiglet Tue 21-May-13 09:02:42

Hi there, lucky you to have some gorgeous babies - how old are they now? I have had a few from babies, and have taken things quite slowly with new foodstuffs to start with - it is a good idea for them to try new things, but not all at once if that makes sense. They will of course be used to chomping on hay and nuggets, but these are very 'dry' and it is good for them to have roughage and a good variety of fruit and veg with vitamin C - if you check on these threads there are lists of food recommended, and lots of good advice from guinea forums as well, giving you advice. I started the girls with a small amount of greens - cucumber and broccoli were favourites, cut into cubes. Give them this and see how they react and if there are any adverse reactions (!) as you don't want them getting the runs. Will they be going outside? Guineas love grass and dandelion leaves as well, but make sure initially this is for a reasonably short time, and build it up so their tummies get used to having it. Many eat such things as bananas, tomatoes, peppers, but basically anything green should get eaten quite quickly, and things like celery leaves, spinach, parsley, etc should perhaps be given in moderation to start with, just to see what they can tolerate. They will get very picky quite quickly, and can go off things as well. Have fun!

FernieB Tue 21-May-13 09:31:26

Oh you're so lucky to have babies. I adopted my lads when they were fully grown and find it hard to believe they were ever baby pig size.

As guineapiglet says, they can have a wide variety of things, but introduce each new thing slowly and in small quantities. They'll soon let you know their favourites.

lostproperty Tue 21-May-13 13:19:01

I just have had a cuddle with one of them...I enjoyed the cuddle but not sure if he did yet...he was not moving much and did a small squeaking. I'm already crazy about them !

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 21-May-13 21:44:08

grin like Fernie our boys were lardy arsed adults fully grown when we got them. DD looks on Gumtree and Pets@Home to see if they have any babies like her pigs would have looked like. (The P@H often have agouti pigs like GP1 but rarely little JetBlacks like GP2. He's spesshull )

When I did have baby pigs as a child (home grown accidents) we gave little bits of everything.
I tend to give morning and evening veg because they are most active eating at dusk/dawn.
Pellets can be scoffed at anytime.
Mine are relishing "Fruity Pellets" at the moment mixed in with their Burgess Excell.

There's loads of GP food lists on here lostproperty, give you some ideas. wink
I'd just advice - make sure it's room temperature to avoid chilled tummies.

FernieB Wed 22-May-13 10:45:23

70 - Fruity Pellets? Where do you get these? My spoilt little piggywigs would probably love them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-May-13 12:59:48

I got Fruity Pellets from The Range.
"Country Value Fruity Pellets". I don't know how much fruit is in them but they smell like banana so I'm just putting maybe 20% of the pellet content then 80% Burgess Excell.

The bag is beige/orange with a photo of two smug tri-colours on the front (which is probably what attracted DD ) grin

FernieB Wed 22-May-13 16:20:29

Thanks 70 I shall investigate.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-May-13 19:18:56

I bought "mini peppers" for the guineas (lovely, little peppers about the size of a satsuma) in red/orange/yellow (they don't like green- fussy toads)

I would be tempted to give them without being cutted up but they'd have to deal with the seeds.

(I;m wondering if the Fruity Bit in the pellets is like the Orangey bit in Jaffa Cakes. Does it count as one of their Five-a-Day? ) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now