Talk

Advanced search

SuperFurryAnimals: You know those images you can't unsee...? :(

(10 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 17-May-13 23:02:05

DD and I were indulging in some Guinea-Gazing on some of the GP Rescue sites (not GumTree, that makes me angry ).
They often have loads of good advice and we like looking at the guineas.

I can't do links but there was one that had a photo (I'll describe it)

An open door to a GP hutch. Two guinea-pigs inside, covered in GP faeces.
The inside of the sleeping quarters is half full of dirty bedding/pooh, It actually looks like solid pooh.
It's beyond sad and depressing.
The GPs (and there were other small furries) that were saveable -there were dead ones in the cage too- were re-homed.

I'm going to bed in an evil mood now. There's no reason for this.

I hugged my (spoiled) boars and put them into their clean bed with supper.
Makes me weep it really does.

Evenstar Fri 17-May-13 23:16:53

I am still trying to get in touch with the owners of the rabbits and guinea pig I saw on Preloved free to a good home, the hutches looked dirty and dark and now they haven't been in touch so I am wondering if they have gone away for the weekend and left them alone sad

I also spotted a pair of sows which the owner admits are probably pregnant living in what looks like a hamster cage, she was sold a mis-sexed trio with a boar, but how does that excuse dumping them now she knows what has happened. Don't even get me started on "child has lost interest" in adverts, it is not the child's responsibility when you have taken on a pet on their behalf that needs care for it's lifetime, not just as long as a child wants it.

I often feel sad when I have put all my piggies and the bunnies to bed, thinking of all the others that don't have even the basics of a clean hutch and enough proper food.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 17-May-13 23:33:39

I had a look for that advert but I couldn't see it.
I tend to trawl GumTree and it makes my blood fizz.
They write it like they are doing a massive favour by offering the pig (and sadly it's usually a young adult single male) .
What they fail to grasp is if they surrendered their "Much loved, I want a good home, no time wasters" guinea-pig to Rescue, they'd probably have to pay them.

There was one that the owner was rehoming because the DD 'lost interest'. She wanted a knowledgeable home (fair enough) but laid down loads of stipulations about them being in the same area and she wanted to keep in touch and visit them.
Erm, ...I'm guessing she's not managed to rehome (she wanted £££ too)

My boys have a night cuddle (about 2 hours). A Pighouse. A run. Food in their bellies and a clean bed to sleep in.
They don't ask for much out of life really but the abuse these little animals suffer is heartbreaking.

Good Luck with your Rabbit/GP rescue quest Evenstar

Evenstar Fri 17-May-13 23:53:44

Thanks, it is really hard to see and to accept that you can't help them all. At least the ones you saw on the rescue are probably in a lovely home where they're spoilt rotten now x

thepig Sat 18-May-13 00:16:13

Well I understand this and people should respect animal welfare...but unfortunately if you're a meat eater (I am) this is nothing compared to how the animals you eat are being treated by and large.

perplexedpirate Sat 18-May-13 07:54:44

I know the exact picture you mean, I saw it on the news. Iirc, didn't the owners get banned for keeping animals for 18 months or something fucking ludicrous. angryangryangryangry
Makes my blood boil. Poor little things. sad

perplexedpirate Sat 18-May-13 07:55:14

And no, I'm not a meat eater. hmm

BonkeyMollocks Sat 18-May-13 10:32:00

thepig I am wondering how you know we are all meat eaters?

Also how you know how badly farm animals are kept?
All of them? hmm

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 18-May-13 10:47:53

My DH and I are vegetarian (not eating fish either for all those people who think that vegetarians do).I've been vegetarian for 33 years.

But: the way I view things (in my opinion)

My not eating meat doesn't make a whole heap of difference to the meat industry. There are many guidelines in place but they aren't always followed.

My Rescue GPs don't make a dent in the number of GPs in Rescue (mine weren't a subject of cruelty, they were accidental)

I chose the pigs therefore I care for them.One of the reasons I've always loved guineas is the fact they are vegetarian themselves.
These people chose to buy GPs. They are failing in their duty to care for them. Not even failing basic care, blantant neglect resulting in cruelty.

guineapiglet Sat 18-May-13 12:18:10

Oh 70 I found it so difficult to read yours posts, not because I don't care, but because I really find it so upsetting to think and read how people treat ANY animal- you just wish you could make it alright, and that all animals should get the respect, care and kindess every one of them deserves....

Tthere are really three types of people I feel, one who really 'get' animals and are on their wavelength, the second who don't really get animals at all, but aren't 'cruel' to them and the third who are careless bas888rds, who are cruel to humans and animals alike, and don't care about any life. I really admire anyone who works in animal welfare, I think they are utterly amazing. And why such cruel people get off with a 'not allowed to keep any animal for 18 months' punishment is beyond me, where is the justice in that?

Like you, I am a life long veggie, ( although do eat fish sometimes, sorry fish, meat is murder fish is justifitable homicide - not really, its just I feel that IF push came to shove, I could maybe kill a fish, but know I really couldn't kill anything else.... )

<look how some people treat other people. Animals have no chance sad)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now