Talk

Advanced search

Do hamsters get diabetes?

(11 Posts)
DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 09:20:44

our Syrian is 18mths old now and a friendly active little soul, but over the past few days she's been getting up regularly during the day and drinking. Loads.

So just that, do they develop diabetes? Is there anything I can do with her diet?

She eats 'Harry Hamster' muesli, raw carrot and apple mainly.

TIA

mrsfuzzy Fri 19-Oct-12 09:20:56

not much help to you, but i have a g.pig that has hay fever, have you checked out any hamster sites on google?

DameMargotFountain Fri 19-Oct-12 09:51:06

i did some googling, and yes it seems it's a fairly common problem. most sites say a vet won't see a hamster with suspected diabetes, so i rang ours and he suggested we keep an eye, no need to take her in, but cut out all 'sweet' snacks and fruit/veg

no more treats, fruit or sweetcorn snacks for her!

the danger is if she goes into coma, so i've to wake her at regular intervals and offer her more drinks to try to level her blood sugar

she was very lively last night, so i think we're managing it <fingers crossed>

think i'll be back later with tips on how to pacify a sleep-deprived furry grin

mrsfuzzy Fri 19-Oct-12 15:27:41

that's great news keep me posted if you can.

DameMargotFountain Mon 22-Oct-12 14:28:03

not great news, she's had a really lively weekend, but i think she's on her way out today, she's very lethargic, and she's definitely lost weight. have given her some extra bedding but she's getting up for toiletting a lot.

vet is busy, and said best to make her comfortable and wait, she might just be having a bad day

i feel sick - poor wee mite sad

mrsfuzzy Mon 22-Oct-12 21:39:15

poor little thing, how sad, hammies can be so delicate like g pigs, i think you are doing the right thing and keping her comfortable, let nature takes its course, i rescue g. pigs and have had many over the years, it is always sad but you just do your best for them.

derekthehamster Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:33

Or hamster is 2.5 yrs old. He's been drinking loads more over the last 6 months and looks really ropey! But he's still going. Fingers crossed for your little one.

DameMargotFountain Mon 22-Oct-12 21:54:36

she's up again now, as opposed to getting up for a drink and having a run about in the exercise ball - looking very much like an older hamster now

i'm more upset at her demise than DD blush

mrsfuzzy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:35:09

bless, i know how you feel, i get really sad when one of ours is poorly/dies, they are all my furry babies and l love them to bits, as least though she sounds happy enough so that good.

DameMargotFountain Tue 23-Oct-12 13:46:30

i haven't seen anything of her today sad

i don't want to disturb her too much as i know she's been up for days, she might be just sleeping....

DameMargotFountain Fri 26-Oct-12 08:55:21

well, she was sleeping when i last posted, she had quite an active evening again, made it out into her ball, but she must have gone into coma overnight as she's cleary not sleeping anymore

RIP little hamster sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now