Talk

Advanced search

Hamster cage recommendation please!

(5 Posts)
SouthernandCross Sat 15-Oct-11 18:18:06

We've just got a Syrian hamster today and haven't had one before. I'm not really a fan but DD2 has been saving her pocket/birthday money and paid for everything out of her own pocket.
We got this cage but it's taken me an hour to put together and doesn't feel very secure. Can anyone recommend a better one for when this one falls to pieces?

Aftereightsaremine Sun 16-Oct-11 07:37:29

That's the cage we had. Worked well until came down one morning to find hamster had chewed her way through the plastic. Took a while to find her.....

Pet shop helped with advice on replacing cage but we no longer have hamster so I can't remember what it looked like.

Dillydaydreaming Sun 16-Oct-11 09:13:33

The bigger the better as far as the hammy is concerned. FWIW - I always find that Rotastak cages a nightmare to put together ( and if you thought that one was bad just try one of the plastic Princess pink castle affairs).
Ferplast do some good cages or if someone at home is good at DIY then yoou can create a massive cage with a couple of plastic storage boxes with netting on top and a route through to the second.
If you can get hold of it Savic made a cage called "Hamster Heaven" which was huge and they turn up on eBay bow and again.
Can also recommend a website with fab forum called Hamster Fanatic Forum. Website owner breeds Syrian Hammys and is very knowledgable.
Hope that helps.smile

bunnyspoiler Sat 22-Oct-11 18:01:47

You an get the Savic Hamster Heaven online, even Pets at Home sell it online. Ferplast do a few big cages (Criceti 15 is nice) and there is a cage called The Alexander which gets great reviews. Home bargains sell a cage called Imac Bingo which is a good size providing you add the extra layer which makes it triple storey. Or if you want a cage without bars ~(less gnawing), you can get Duna Multy which is good. Min size to look for is 80x50, syrians like space to run rather than height.

KatharineClifton Sat 22-Oct-11 18:05:29

It looks like a nice cage but a little small I think. Different levels are good to keep hamster occupied, and they like the bars for climbing/hanging off (sometimes). Do you have a ball for exercise? I always found insides of toilet rolls kept hamsters occupied as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now