Talk

Advanced search

Awww aren't Guinea Pigs awesome!

(13 Posts)
WorzselMummage Sat 08-Oct-11 20:46:02

Honestly, they are the cutest most rewarding and funny little pets. I only got ours because i thought they would be good for the kids but we are all completely smitten.

Rory is currently alternating between licking the condensation off the outside of my wine glass/my toes and eating a hunk of broccoli in the middle of the living room floor.

He was completely neglected when we got him and had been terrible bullied but he's really come out of his shell recently, love him so much! He's the most spoiled GP in the uk i think.

Bit of a sad post really wine but he is so CUTE!

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 20:48:25

We feel that same about ours Worzel, even dh has warmed to them. They are so full of character and funny to watch.

I am glad yours is adored now if he had a rough start in life.

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 08-Oct-11 20:51:44

Not a sad thread, a lovely one!

Rory is v lucky to have a mummy like you Worzsel. I remember when you rescued him. What's his brother called? And have you still got them in the hutch outside? When are you thinking of bringing them in for the winter?

I am feeling for my two girlies Peggy and Cookie (we did have three but r.i.p Nibbles in August sad) going from lovely warm weather last week to distinctly chilly right now.

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 08-Oct-11 20:52:38

My dh (6ft 4", 17 stone) adores our guinea pigs and cuddles them up whenever he gets the chance.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 20:57:13

I noticed a lot of the local horses have their rugs on now and wondered if it was time we brought our piggies in for the winter.

We have 5 - we used to have 10 sad - so it gets a bit fragrant when we do.

Meglet Sat 08-Oct-11 20:58:37

They are the best pets, cuddly and double up as lawnmowers grin.

I miss not having them anymore. I had them for 30 years (until this March) and I can't get used to not saving up chunks of cucumber and celery for them. I still have the old 'oh I must go and put them out / bring them in from the garden' thoughts.

WorzselMummage Sat 08-Oct-11 21:00:06

His brother is called Doctor but we dont have him any more as he was a complete tyrant and bullied Rory senseless sad He lives with my MILS friend now and is doing fabulously. Poor Rory used to flinch when we held him as he had torn ears and toes missing from being attacked so I think he's happier on his own.

We all love him, even DH but guinea loves him especially and sings when he goes in the kitchen!

He lives in all the time, spoilt rotten!

RIP Nibbles sad

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 21:07:14

It sounds like he gets loads of company and interaction. Does he speak to you?

When one of ours was grieving and we hadn't yet found him a new buddy he used to speak to me in a warbley way whenever I was in the room with him. He lost his voice squeaking so much when someone opened the fridge.

He has a new buddy now though grin

WorzselMummage Sat 08-Oct-11 21:11:43

We did think about getting him a friend but he seems quite content on his own. He has a cage he can get in and out of as he pleases and we are in all day so he gets plently on interaction and cuddles. He talks to me all the time and snuggles in for a snooze when he's on my lap. I know what you mean about the fridge door.. clever little beasts!

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 21:19:38

They are all individuals. Most like company but it doesn't mean they all do. It sounds like he is bonded to people - like my dog.

WorzselMummage Sat 08-Oct-11 21:22:12

I think his previous companion was so horrible he prefers humans to other pigs.

WinnieMac Sat 08-Oct-11 21:25:34

Oh, what a lovely thread. My piggies are utterly fab. They live inside with us in a cage about the size of our king-sized bed. DH was horrified by piggies and cage alike when I got them, but now I hear him talking and whistling to them in the evenings once I have gone to bed. grin One of mine is plump and placid, and the other is a complete rascal. He used to sit on DD's lap while she did her reading, but he ate too many of her books so has to watch from the cage now. When we say 'weep weep weep' to them, they reply to us. They are brilliant!!

LordOfTheFlies Sat 08-Oct-11 22:41:34

We are in the process of pig-hunting for DD.I had 12 over a period of time as a child.

It takes a long time to get used to the idea that you can open the fridge door, chop vegetables, rustle a paper bag or bite into an apple without a chorus of excited squeaking demanding their share!

It means a midnight raid on the fridge is out of the question unless you want to share the spoils!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now