Talk

Advanced search

Have my rabbits bonded?

(5 Posts)
WetAugust Thu 15-Sep-11 23:56:59

I'm new to rabbits (but have had GPs in the past).

I have a 7 month old cross rex/lop male and a 2 year old (largish) mini lop female.

I had both neutered a few months ago, just after I got them. They live in separate hutches but during the day they run free in the garden together. Since being neutered he's not interested in her sexually. In fact they are hardly interested in each other at all. They don't fight but they don't grrom each other either. Occassionally I'll find them lying down together on the patio.

I'd like to put them both into the same large double-deck hutch over winter for company and for warmth.

Have they bonded? If so how do I introduce them to the same hutch - should I just do short periods to start with and build up to overnight?

Thanks

bigdonna Sat 17-Sep-11 22:40:20

hi when we introduced our rabbit to a rescued one we kept them indoors for acouple of days and watched them then after three days put them together in the same hutch they never fought.we have only ever had mini lops and we find them very loving pets we have never been bitten they are cuddled every day so very used to hu8mans good luck

thisisyesterday Sat 17-Sep-11 22:45:53

yes, it sounds as though they have bonded. lying down together is a good sign (as is not fighting to the death)

i would maybe put them in the hutch with you right there ready to dive in (use a towel to protect yourself), just in case they do fight as they may be territorial over their own hutches

WetAugust Wed 21-Sep-11 20:30:17

Thank you for your replies

We put both rabbits into the same (neutral) hutch 2 nights ago. They seem to be enjoying each other's company. He's grooming her and they've sorted out who sits where!
I've noticed that even when they are loose in the garden they have started to follow each other around a lot more since they started hutch-sharing.
It seems that they have indeed bonded!

JohnnyRod Fri 07-Oct-11 20:35:42

Good going! TBH it was a bit of a risk with the hutch as it could have been one of their territories, but yes they sound very happy, congrats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now