Talk

Advanced search

Very large guinea pig. Is she meant to be like this?

(9 Posts)
GloriaVanderbilt Sat 10-Sep-11 16:05:51

Please forgive me being such a thicko about this. I've only in the distant past known anyone with a lot of guinea pigs and as far as I remember they got quite large too.

I have two pigs, one is sort of bullet shaped, quite quick on her feet and the same width all along. She's always been like this.

The other (not related) is fat. she's a proper pear shape and I worry about her. Saying that it's always been her shape - they have a 6ft hutch and go out in a large run some days (when weather permits), but she is very sedentary.

she does move about in the run though and can still wobble herself at a fair pace.
But I went to put them out today and she was so floppy. I was a bit worried about her - I mean to pick up she generally feels like a sack of spuds, but today it was like she had no strength to hold herself iyswim...I have noticed her slumped a lot in the hutch, just not moving about really.

I guess they are getting middle aged, they must be two or three now (trying to remember when we got them).

I just wondered if this is normal, or if I ought to be doing anything about it?

silver73 Sat 10-Sep-11 19:44:01

Can you post this on guinea pig lynx website this sounds a bit worrying to me

http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

silver73 Sat 10-Sep-11 19:51:05

Can you post this on guinea pig lynx website this sounds a bit worrying to me... there are some really gp savy people on this forum
www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=15a4b50eab22763fe60e551e11f5013c

If they are two or three that is not an old age. Is her stomach big and a bit squishey? It could be the first stages of heart failure. One of my pigs died of this and the rodentologist told me that gps can be put on diuretics and live for a long time... don't think the treatment is expensive just tablets.... Look at the heart pig thread here...www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25375

GloriaVanderbilt Sun 11-Sep-11 07:28:03

Thanks ever so much Silver. I agree it doesn't seem right, she's been gradually getting more floppy over the last several months.

I'll just have a look, and sorry about your pig.

GloriaVanderbilt Sun 11-Sep-11 07:31:28

Ok have just had a quick look at the heart failure thread...she doesn't appear to have any respiratory symptoms, no strange noises (just talking a bit when I pick her up!) and definitely not weight loss.

Perhaps it might be a vitamin C issue? Though not sure how to manage that - I remember reading that their legs start to hurt without enough of it so they stop running about.

They both eat the same though and the other one is perky.

Thanks again, I might have a browse of the other threads on there, it looks very good.

silver73 Sun 11-Sep-11 09:54:01

Are you a member of Cambridge Cavy charity? It costs £25 a year and you get so much for that money. All your pigs can have a check over etc three times a year and also you get to see an amazing rodentologist or if you cannot get to her you can speak to her on the phone. I've lost count of the amount of times I have been in contact with Vedra this year. Unfortunately, I think she may be on holiday at the moment...

www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/CCT.html

In addition, Vedra can recommend GP savvy vets and rodentologists. You really do need to take a GP to a vet that knows about them as they are more like a sheep than dogs and cats.

You could also phone Broxbourne Vets and Pets - there is a very good GP vet there and a rodentologist. They are a low cost vets and v v good for GPs. They are open on Saturday and Sunday.

GP rescue centres are also very good as the people that run them are usually very knowledgeable. Maybe phone one near you?

Please post of GP lynx the people on there are a wonderful helpful bunch. This could be very serious and two or three years old is not old for a piggie...

GloriaVanderbilt Sun 11-Sep-11 11:08:11

Thankyou very much for all the links and suggestions.

I think I will phone somewhere and get advice about where to take her locally to me as I don't know if our normal vet knows a lot about piggies.

You've been really helpful.

silver73 Sun 11-Sep-11 22:25:55

Pleasure but please get onto someone asap and post on guinea pig lynx as it sounds like it may be serious and piggies hide illness very well and when it becomes apparent they are critically ill.

KRICRI Mon 12-Sep-11 15:26:09

Yes, I hope you manage to get some answers asap. Unfortunately, most vets know very little about guinea pigs. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now