Talk

Advanced search

Our piggies passed on last night.

(4 Posts)
MissBetsyTrotwood Thu 01-Sep-11 11:28:27

Somehow (and I cannot work out how) foxes managed to get into our hutch and take them both. The latch was down but I guess they might have been able to push them up?

We've had rabbits in the hutch previously and the fox has never been able to get in. It's raised off the ground and solid, solid wood. I just don't know how it happened.

We're all so sad and the youngest is distraught. sad

AlmaMartyr Thu 01-Sep-11 11:34:20

Oh, so sorry sad I'd be really upset if that happened to my girls.

Are you sure it was a fox? My DSis couldn't figure out how a fox had got into her chicken run once until she realised it might have been a mink.

GypsyMoth Thu 01-Sep-11 12:25:47

Oh no! Have you recovered the piggies bodies? Is there evidence around the garden?

MissBetsyTrotwood Thu 01-Sep-11 17:21:27

I found lots of white fur and a bit of something on the patio. I cleaned them out last night and I have been trying to think if I did anything different when shutting them in... DH got in from work about 11pm and didn't see anything unusual - their hutch is outside the kitchen window where our kitchen table is so we can see them all the time. sad I do think it was a fox as there are loads around here and we often see them in the garden. Although my friend told me that when it happened to her neighbours the fox brought bits back each night for the next few days...

Putting the latch down is something I do without thinking, like shutting the front door or locking the car.

It took DS1 til about lunchtime to calm down enough for us to go out. Luckily he didn't see any of the fur or anything outside. We all feel so, so sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now