Talk

Advanced search

G-pigs really are the cutest and laziest way to keep your lawn short aren't they.

(8 Posts)
Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 21:42:55

This is the first summer for 30 years that I haven't had a guinea pig sad.

I have to mow my lawn all the time now. I used to love being able to move the run around and they'd just start working on another patch of grass. All I had to do was keep the edges tidy and mow it if it had a mad growth spurt.

(mope over)

Mollymax Mon 29-Aug-11 21:52:18

Our two guineas don't quite nibble quick enough.
I think I need a goat as well. grin

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 21:56:50

ah, yes. It does depend on the size of the garden.

<<wonders what the optimum piggy to sq meter of grass ratio is>>

Mollymax Tue 30-Aug-11 09:09:27

Good question. Maybe I will get my 10 year old daughter to work it out ( she needs some maths practice! )
grin

CRIKRI Wed 31-Aug-11 22:26:40

Ha - mine end up just completely stripping a small circle of grass. They're too lazy to move very far. They prefer just to lounge and chew!

mercibucket Sun 04-Sep-11 18:51:09

ours keep on top of our grass but leave all the weeds
bad piggies

fortifiedwithtea Sat 24-Sep-11 00:05:28

buttercups and daisies are poisinous to piggies so they won't mow everything.Clever piggies smile

LordOfTheFlies Wed 05-Oct-11 10:44:36

My childhood GPs were fairly free range (no foxes or cats round at the time) and their hutch door was open, they could run inside and up the ramp to their shelter.

Ours ate grass, dandelions, clover. All good

Brussel sprouts (still in the garden growing), raspberry leaves, cabbage plants., they stripped the bark from round a young tree (it was okay though).
It's those rodent teeth.The GPs used to insist it was better for them to chew than to go to the vet to have their teeth clipped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now