Talk

Advanced search

What is best bedding and cage liner for fancy rats please

(8 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 18:22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SockMunkee Tue 19-Jul-11 18:25:59

Over the years we have had over 10 rats, we used to put newspaper on the floor ( they will rip it up so use a thick layer) and for bedding we made hammocks from towels, hung up old sleeves from jumpers and made towers from old cereal boxes. they also loved a box of tissues, hours of fun taking the tissues to make beds grin

allhailtheaubergine Tue 19-Jul-11 18:28:11

Aww cute! I miss our rattie girls.

I cut up a couple of old thick bath mats and bunged them in the washing machine every couple of days. They tended to have a place in the cage for wees and I put a box of litter in that bit.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 18:31:00

allhailtheaubergine Tue 19-Jul-11 18:50:44

It was cat litter, but a very natural wood one. You have to be careful not to get scented. Obviously can't get clay or clumping or some of the space age looking stuff in the cat litter aisle.

Can't help with brands as I'm not in UK.

You have to think about dust, and not get anything that would be harmful if they licked or ate it.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 19:03:01

ragged Tue 19-Jul-11 20:17:57

Megazorb is ideal bedding. No dearer than wood shavings, really. Try local stable/horse suppliers if no pet shop near you stocks Megazorb.

Newspaper ink has toxins in it and rats are too prone to tumours already.
Formaldehyde in paper products isn't really ideal, anyway (but I admit I don't worry about it too much).

Used Flour and sugar (paper) bags are great fun!

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 20:28:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now