Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit Taming? Advice please

(7 Posts)
Grockle Sat 16-Jul-11 18:43:02

We've just acquired 2 two-year old rabbits but they've never been handled. I knew they were shy but they are so incredibly skittish, I can't even pick them up. We've stood by the hutch today, quietly so they get used to us being around and we've popped some spinach in for them so they associate us with good things but what else can I do?

Grockle Mon 18-Jul-11 06:45:56

Anyone?

PositiveAttitude Mon 18-Jul-11 07:45:23

We got 2 rabbits from the RSPCA about a year ago. They had not been handled, so were not used to it. For a while I tried to get them used to it, but it was not very successful. Now we do not try to pick them up as they just were not happy with it. They are very happy in their run and hutch and will now stay calm while I clean the hutch.
I was disappointed that we did not have 2 cuddly bunnies, but they are lovely and we watch them playing and jumping around and the cuddles seem less important now.

Grockle Mon 18-Jul-11 18:51:44

Mine do seem quite happy in their run now and snuggle with each other. I won't pressure them smile

RoseC Tue 19-Jul-11 14:17:12

Ours were very skittish and hadn't been handled before (but were only a few months old). We did exactly as you are doing, although we also got big leaves, like spring greens, and held onto the other end as they ate - feeding them by hand. We also brought them indoors (via pet carrier) and sat with them on the kitchen floor. I'm not sure it's advisable to do this too much because the temperature change can be a shock for them (we didn't know this at the time) but in the warm summer months it's likely no harm will come of it.

It did take a very long while before they were happy to be picked up and cuddled at will. Some things they were also always skittish about, e.g. being put back in the hutch (would always jump from our arms) and being caught after digging out from the run, although I like to think that was just high spirits on their part! grin

karmakameleon Fri 22-Jul-11 12:40:11

Our two hate being picked up, so we try to limit it to when they need their nails clipped and grooming.

However, if we sit on the floor with them and give them treats (we use thin slices of carrot) they are quite happy to climb up onto our laps and sit and eat there.

Grockle Fri 29-Jul-11 18:35:42

Update: They are much more friendly and hop to the front on the run to say hello when I go in the garden. If I open the door, they nudge my hand and like being stroked. But the confident friendly one, sat nicely while I stroked her then, without warning, leaned forward bit my leg angry then skipped away merrily. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: