Talk

Advanced search

Help me re Hedgehog Urgent

(42 Posts)
Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 21:37:42

Hi

There has been a hedgehog on the local open field for 2 days in roughly the same place. Today whilst walking the dog i noticed some kids were poking it with a stick. There are no bushes nearby. Its a busy field as it is the route to the shop, kids using it to play football and dog walkers.

I have brung it home, put it in a box and rang the RCPCA who cant collect until tommorrow.

I have gave it dog food and water with grass and have it in my downstairs toilet in a box. It doesnt look well at all, stinks and has yellow puss coming from its nose eyes and ears. One eye is closed and wont open.

It has been in a box in my toilet for an hour and has started to go crazy scratching at the box.

I am worried it is going to die due to being distressed. I have rung the RSPCA back and told them and they have told me to leave it there and they still cant collect till tommorrow.

It absolutely stinks. Should i let it go in some bushes as it is clearly distressed but unwell. I dont know what to do. I am going to have 3 seriously upset kids if they get up and it is dead.

acsec Fri 01-Jul-11 21:39:59

Ring the RSPCA, they will come and collect it

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 21:41:44

can you take it to a vet hospital yourself? sounds like a bad infection.

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 21:43:13

acsec - i have rang them twice and no one is available tonight and i cant as i have 3 dd's and no car

peggotty Fri 01-Jul-11 21:43:54

Hedgehogs really do stink. The RSPCA will put it to sleep. Is there a local hedgehog rescue place you can try instead. Most areas have at least one. Keep it in the box but put it in an outhouse or shed of you have one. They will eat cat food ( not fishy ones though ). It will have a hugely better chance of survival if you can find a local wildlife rescue place for it.

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 21:44:28

call local vet? sometimes they have people who care for injured wildlife.

acsec Fri 01-Jul-11 21:44:36

Sorry realised I hadn't read that bit of you postblush

Is there a wildlife rescue place near you? Or the vet might take it

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 21:45:16

Im looking now but cant see any, i have tried the pdsa who say they cant do anything and take it to the vet in morning

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 21:46:46

Found one in Throckley, i am ringing now but i am still quite away from them

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 21:47:18

these guys whould be able to help you better then RSPCA, emergency phone line for advice and whould be able to tell you what to do where to go etc.

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 21:47:47

01844 292292

purplepidjin Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:01

www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Wear gardening gloves because they're covered in fleas and drop boiled cooled salted water just above the eye - the water will run in and the salt will kill the bacteria.

And watch out for the fleas wink

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:01

tiggywinkels wildlife hospital even if they are not in your area they might know someone closer to you.

purplepidjin Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:12

xpost mousey!

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:44

triple snap

peggotty Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:47

Yes your vet may have the phone number of a wildlife rescue. iME ( and I worked in a vets) most vets will just put it to sleep as well. Of course it may be so ill/injured that it needs to be put to sleep but at least it will have a chance if you can get hold of wildlife rescue.

hellymelly Fri 01-Jul-11 21:48:58

Call these people- www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/ They know all about them. I would take it to a vet asap as it is obviously ill and probably has an infected wound. I've never found hedgehogs particularly stinky tbh,he sounds hurt.I wouldn't delay at all as he might die,most vets will treat a wild animal for free if that is a concern.And hedgehog numbers are plummeting,they need all the help they can get.

hellymelly Fri 01-Jul-11 21:53:46

Would a friend of yours take it to a vet? Has it eaten anything or drunk at all?

hellymelly Fri 01-Jul-11 21:54:12

(sorry cross posted about St Tigs!)

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 22:16:19

Rang tiggywinkles and saying they dont deal with small animals, i am in gateshead, have found site with rescuers on but all the ones i have rang are going to voicemail.

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 22:17:21

Phone them back they are renowned for their help with hedgehogs

hellymelly Fri 01-Jul-11 22:18:07

I don't understand,was it a message you got or did you talk to someone? They are a hedgehog hospital,that is what they do.

purplepidjin Fri 01-Jul-11 22:20:38

www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/ukwild.html

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 01-Jul-11 22:21:31

Panic over, somone in Newcastle who i left a message with has rang me back, she is trying to arrange transport to collect as she says he sounds in a bad way due to an infection

Thanks very much everyone.

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 22:23:00

Good news, justa question is that really what they said when you rang the above number for Tiggywinkles?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now