Talk

Advanced search

AWOL hamster...any suggestions?

(13 Posts)
BoattoBolivia Sat 25-Jun-11 18:57:05

still only about 3 months old and not keen on being handled much, as managed to escape from cage (long story). Think he is hiding behind the downstairs toilet which is pretty inaccessible. Have put out a deep box, with bedding, a ramp and food, hoping he will fall in. Any other ideas before my dd is totally traumatised or the cat gets him!

TheOriginalFAB Sat 25-Jun-11 18:58:27

Well keep the cat away and wait until the house is silent and take watch.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 25-Jun-11 18:59:16

I could send you my terrier, but that is probably not the result you want?

A humane trap baited with hammy's favourite cereal worked my sister's hamster decided to relocate itself under the floorboards.

BoattoBolivia Sat 25-Jun-11 20:45:48

My other thought was the Hoover, but that would be about as humane as the terrier!!

bellavita Sat 25-Jun-11 21:01:35

Have you got any hamster chocolate drops? Our hamster loves those and can smell them a mile off...

A few weeks ago, DS2 left the side of the cage open. Hamster got out whilst we were in bed. He climbed all of the stairs, all of the bedroom doors apart from ours were open. But bless him, he scratted at our door (in our sleep befuddled state we thought the noise was a bird trying to land on the sill outside of the bedroom window) DH went to investigate and opened our bedroom door and lo and behold the flippin thing came trotting in as if he knew we were there. He could have gone anywhere in the house, chewed wires (doesn't bear thinking about really) but chose to come and see us grin.

I hope he comes out for you.

worm77daisy Sat 25-Jun-11 21:24:15

A smear of peanut butter, the smell is irresistible to hamsters and never failed to recapture escaped hamsters in my experience!

BoattoBolivia Sat 25-Jun-11 23:32:01

Thanks guys...lured him out with peanut butter, while I was standing behind the toilet in the dark with a torch and a video cassette (knew they were still useful) to block the hole with. He came out and I pounced! Dd will be very happy in the morning, thanks for the suggestions. grin

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 27-Jun-11 15:55:55

I have an escape artist too, she manages to open her plastic cage, close the door behind her, and trot off on her travels before her frantic owner spots her! I have found her in the cats bowl (with the worlds stupidest cat drinking next to her), in the dog cage (sleeping with the worlds stupidest staff!), under the sofa, running across the living room in full view of the world going by her.....

I swear to god i have no idea how she gets out. the cage is high up away from the hobbits, and its always shut tight...no holes to squeeze through...freaky hamster our Tallulah! smile

ratspeaker Mon 27-Jun-11 19:41:18

My friends hamster escaped
She baited a humane mouse trap with peanut butter sandwiches and got him back that way

SquigglePigs Mon 27-Jun-11 19:42:43

If he does it again, we just left the cage open on the floor near where we thought they were hiding, and the crawled back into bed when they got tired. This was usually the first day after the escape, one held out for a second night! (tempting treats in the cage are never a bad addition though!).

Fennel Tue 28-Jun-11 20:42:14

Our hamsters escape quite regularly. They have all turned up so far - they aren't as dim as they seem. One always turned up in the larder (several rooms and two young hunting cats away). Another used to get to the cereal cupboard and then go up and down the wall, emerging in her owner's (dd2s) bedroom - very cute. Another turned up in the cellar. But they do go for food, if you lay little traps and then listen out at 10pm or later, they hide during the day but start the rustling at that sort of time. No point watching before then, in our experience.

CQrrrneee Sun 03-Jul-11 20:45:59

Our hamster escapes sometimes. I always try to leave his little beds alone so that I know where to look next time!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 03-Jul-11 20:48:02

Awww, I love a happy ending grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now