Talk

Advanced search

Guinea Pigs and Potato Leaves

(8 Posts)
RubberDuck Sun 12-Jun-11 13:50:38

Hi guys - in serious research mode for getting some guinea pigs for the dses (aged 10 and 7) although I know realistically they'll be my pet and my responsibility grin

One big concern I have though is a large part of our lawn used to be a veggie patch which was later grassed over. As a result, despite best efforts to dig them up, we get potatoes growing through. At the moment, we've just been mowing off the tops and ignoring them, but with piggies we're clearly going to be exposing them to potato leaves.

I've googled extensively but there seems to be mixed information whether the leaves themselves are poisonous. I know that you shouldn't give them potato peelings. Does anyone know for sure?

HarrietJones Sun 12-Jun-11 15:41:56

Yes they are

Meglet Sun 12-Jun-11 15:44:42

They're from the nightshade family, so I'd say yes.

RubberDuck Sun 12-Jun-11 15:49:39

Arse. I read that they tend to avoid weeds that are poisonous to them if in a grazing situation - would they not do the same for potato leaves?

I guess I could just make sure I get a pair of scissors and cut off all the potato leaves before putting the run down on that area...

Meglet Sun 12-Jun-11 15:53:44

I have to say that my rabbit used to avoid eating daffodils as they are poisonous.

Actually, my piggies did avoid the ragwort I had growing on the lawn. They used to eat round it. I never knew it was deadly until my dad started digging it up.

ragged Sun 12-Jun-11 17:26:19

Our girls nibbled potato leaves - hard to see any harm done (they died of something else long later, anyway). Obviously not ideal, but not the end of the world if it happens accidentally.

Buttercup, too, all sorts supposed to be toxic to them but they seem to regularly snack on with no apparent ill effects.

RubberDuck Sun 12-Jun-11 18:51:30

Well, I've ordered the hutch and run. Bit nervous! Will try and avoid that part of the garden as far as I can, I think, unless I run out of grazing space.

RubberDuck Sun 12-Jun-11 18:54:17

(I mean nervous about having new pets! Not about the potato leaves - as I say, won't put them at risk if I can possibly avoid it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now