Talk

Advanced search

New guinea pigs

(8 Posts)
pigsinmud Sat 11-Jun-11 09:34:44

We have one gp and he is 4. We bought 2 9 week old gps on Thursday. We asked a reputable breeder, but she had none so she recommended a friend. They are 2 girls and being kept separate from our boy!

They are lovely, but terrified. When we got them home I noticed one had a bald patch of dry looking skin above her eye and a scab on her nose. Then yesterday evening I discovered a big scab on her tummy. I'm a bit cross that she didn't point these out to me and am worried she didn't even know they were there. There were a lot of gps in a run. Could she have been bitten by another gp or is it some skin infection?

clayre Sat 11-Jun-11 09:36:03

Sounds like mange, my guineas had that, they were treated with drops on the bck of the neck, they really need to see a vet sad

pigsinmud Sat 11-Jun-11 09:59:04

Great that will be a minimum of £40 then. I'm rather annoyed as the guineas cost us £30 and I don't think she should be selling them if there is something wrong.

pigsinmud Sat 11-Jun-11 13:42:25

ok just noticed the other guinea has scabby skin in the same place. Could it just be where the umbilical cord was? Not had guineas of 9 weeks before so showing my ignorance!

bigbuttons Sat 11-Jun-11 13:49:57

Sounds like mange to me too. I got drops from the internet BUT I know that GP's so young must be treated differently, so if you are going to treat them then it would be the vets.

pigsinmud Sat 11-Jun-11 14:34:11

Oh ok. I'll take them to the vets next week. Great start. They are out in the run and seem calmer today.

bigbuttons Sat 11-Jun-11 15:07:28

Mine are nearly year old and still scared of their own shadows LOL

pigsinmud Tue 14-Jun-11 13:00:07

Took them today. The vet isn't quite sure. Doesn't think it's mites. Could be due to fighting in a large litter, but possibly ringworm due to both having round scabs on the tummy. Has given antibiotics to help with infection of scabs and to see if other patches clear up. Taking them back next week and if no better have to have skin scraping done to check if it's ringworm or not. We're at £25 at the moment, but skin scraping cost £40 plus treatment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: