Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop my cockatiel laying so many eggs?

(9 Posts)
Threadworm8 Sun 05-Jun-11 12:27:23

She is less than a year old. She laid a clutch at Christmas, then at the end of April, and she has just gone into lay again.

I'm worried about the egg-laying making too many demands on her strength; and I'm also saddened by the fact that when she is laying and nesting she can't come out as much (partly because I don't want to disturb her unduly but also because when she does want to come out I have to be on the alert for the mega-poos that she does whilst nesting, 10x bigger than normal poos.

I've heard that artificially restricting daylight hours will help; and I've also heard that withdrawing a lot of physical contact will help (so that she doesn't feel like she has a 'partner'). I'm loathe to try the latter unless I'm sure it is helpful. Would it help? Is there anything else I can do?

(PS I know she isn't a 'super furry animal' but MN topics discriminate against birds that aren't chickens.angry)

Threadworm8 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:54:12

Correction, just over a year old.

Any cockatiel owners on MN?

cornsilks Mon 06-Jun-11 12:11:44

is she on her own? We have a female cocky as well. I have some books - will see if they say anything.

Threadworm8 Mon 06-Jun-11 12:56:04

Thanks, cornsilks. She has no bird-mate, but she is handreared and has plenty of human contact, which is enough I think to make her feel like she has a mate.

This is the reason I would have preferred a male, ideally. I'm nervous about the possibility of her becoming 'eggbound' and getting very ill.sad

She is such a lovely pet.

Threadworm8 Mon 06-Jun-11 12:56:58

Does yours lay?

cornsilks Mon 06-Jun-11 13:16:10

mine hasn't laid yet - didn't realise they could without a mate until this thread!shock
My books say to leave the eggs with her otherwise she'll keep laying more to replace them - it says to let her sit on them for about a week. You can buy false ones as well. It also recommends calcium supplements in addition to cuttle bone once they start laying. <really need a new cuttle bone>
our cocky is lovely as well - not hand reared but getting tamer all the time.. I love her!

Threadworm8 Mon 06-Jun-11 13:41:26

Interesting that it says you can remove after about a week. I've been leaving them longer than that -- for about three weeks until she loses interest in them completely. Perhpas I will try taking away a bit earlier.

She seems happy enough with laying. She gets a bit anti-social and quiet but will come off the eggs for a little while each day and ask for a fly-about.

cornsilks Mon 06-Jun-11 14:59:29

does yours talk?

Threadworm8 Mon 06-Jun-11 15:26:24

She hasn't ever showed any sign of imitating any sounds. Shame, but she is so much fun in other ways.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: