Talk

Advanced search

new Hamster weeing in play tubing - how to stop this?

(8 Posts)
sybiltherednosedreindeer Tue 28-Dec-10 18:30:21

Basically what the title says. Our new hamster has started doing all his wees in the play tubing in his cage. This means I have to dismantle the whole thing to clean it, and he is running through it all the time until I notice/and able to get him out of the cage.

Any bright ideas on how we could train him of this? Thanks.

pinkhebe Tue 28-Dec-10 18:34:51

we have a little litter tray for ours grin but we were lucky that he tended to use one area and so we put some of the soiled bedding in the tray and he never looked back. I don't know whether yours would do that.

sybiltherednosedreindeer Tue 28-Dec-10 18:50:17

The problem is that there is no soiled bedding, the little bugger just pees in his tube which then trickles around and he spreads it every time he walks through it.

He is very cute, but he's going to be pongy at this rate!

FortunateHamster Tue 28-Dec-10 18:53:11

Is he a syrian (your basic normal petshop hamster) or a dwarf? Never had too much trouble with my syrian hamsters but my roborovski dwarves absolutely love peeing on their wheels and nothing will stop them!

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Tue 28-Dec-10 20:13:38

I had this exact same problem so took the tubes out for a short while. I then put a clean jam jar in the cage and now she uses that. The tubes are back in place and all is well!

Soups Tue 28-Dec-10 21:53:09

I was going to suggest the same as Happydays.
Our Syrian uses the little plastic house that came with the cage as his toilet. So I'd take the tubes out for a while and see if he'll use something else as the place to go.

PlanetEarth Tue 28-Dec-10 22:32:52

We have trouble with this too. Our hamster pees in a jamjar, but if the tubes are there she'll use them instead. So no tubes any more...

sybiltherednosedreindeer Wed 29-Dec-10 12:12:33

Brilliant, thanks for your messages everyone. I'll try taking his tubes out during the day (which is when he wees in them) and see how we get on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: