Talk

Advanced search

What's going on here?

(4 Posts)
waybird Thu 26-Dec-19 13:17:52

A close family member's wife has in recent years developed what was a Liking for booze to a full drink problem.

Blackouts/ bit aggressive when drunk / wiping out / slurring words. Sort of hides it as it being just a post 11pm problem
On a Saturday night which it's not.

Can someone explain if she has a her first drink why she is immediately slurring.
She's recently gone for brain scans and nothing but I suspect it's because she's already Been drinking.

I wonder if there is a painkiller addiction too - does this cause slurring of words?

She won't accept there is a problem -

Thank you for any information ....

billycorn Thu 26-Dec-19 14:47:11

In my opinion, she's either had a drink beforehand or had drugs. From experience I've found Benzo addiction causes major slurring, it makes the person act like a cartoon character.
Has she had any medication prescribed for anxiety i.e. Xanax or valium?

waybird Thu 26-Dec-19 16:34:23

Thank you - What would make you wake up from a deep sleep on the sofa and start talking utter gobbledygook ?

Is it a brain problem? Drug?

Iooselipssinkships Fri 10-Jan-20 14:36:46

Drugs I would guess. Could be as someone else said, Diazepam, Lorazepam?
Or pain killers? Cocodamol, pure Codeine, Tramadol, Morphine?
Nerve meds? Pregablin, Gabapentin.
Recreational? GHB?
A good few of them don't react well with alcohol as they work on the same gaba receptors.
When I was on Pregablin for nerve pain my partner and Mum said I seemed drunk all of the time, I imagine if I drunk alcohol on top of that I would've been a state.
Even certain antibiotics don't mix well so could be that?
I think it's worth seeing if she's taking something other than drinking booze. Not only that it can be really dangerous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »