Talk

Advanced search

Recovering heroin addict

(8 Posts)
Gotleib Thu 07-Nov-19 22:50:07

I’m not sure how long someone is a ‘risk’ for after using heroin - how long do they have to be ‘clean’ for before you can stop being scared of them relapsing imminently?

My sister (a recovering heroin addict, I.e only just stopped using a couple of weeks ago and currently in residential rehab for the next three weeks) will be staying at my parents house. Is it safe for my children to go round to my parents’ house whilst she is there? Theoretically she will be clean and there will be no drugs/ needles etc in the house but we are a bit concerned about taking the children there. Obviously she will not be alone with them or caring for them in any way. Am I overreacting? I don’t mean to offend any recovering addicts out there, but I have limited experience with drugs/drug users and can only think of the west lost dramatic outcomes!

Sevo7 Thu 07-Nov-19 22:56:09

In truth she will always be at risk of relapse, in the first couple of years anyway but recovery is a lifelong thing.

What are your concerns exactly when it comes to your children OP? If she’s not using and there’s no drugs or drug equipment around I’m not sure what your concerns are?

PurpleFrames Fri 08-Nov-19 21:21:15

I think seeing the children could be massively beneficial for her recovery. It shows what she could have, could be involved with etc

It would be a bit cruel to punish her further than what she's already been through by withholding them. Like you say if they're supervised there's no risk.

Recovery is lifelong but if she's engaged that's the main thing

Herja Fri 08-Nov-19 21:25:52

Having known many, relapse can be years and years later. I also agree that seeing your DC's would probably be very helpful to her. If someone's with them the entire time, they're at no risk. It's your parents house, not a long term drug den, so there won't be dirty works shoved anywhere. It will be very apparent if she's using, you'll absolutely know.

icedgem85 Fri 08-Nov-19 21:26:37

I wouldn’t leave them alone with her but you’re not intending to so don’t ban her from being around them. It will be great for her to see them and sounds like she is doing really well at the moment! Show her you trust her and she will be more trustworthy. Obviously with a watchful eye on your children’s safety but it’s highly unlikely she’d start using again in the vicinity of your kids.

Taraswell Fri 08-Nov-19 21:43:59

Ah it might be lovely for them to see her now she's clean. She's not being tasked with looking after them and the likelihood that there'll be needles around is low. You'll be there so be able to gauge if she's ok or not.
I hope you and the kids have a nice catch up with her and wish her all the best in her recovery

holidays987 Fri 08-Nov-19 22:24:19

I'd see how she seems once she leaves the residential rehab.
I wouldn't blame you if you didn't feel comfortable leaving your children in the house with her. But see how she is and if you feel ok about it nearer the time.

sam235corner Sat 09-Nov-19 18:26:37

I agree wholeheartedly with PurpleFrames

Recovering addicts need as much support as possible and i'm sure there is no risk whatsoever for your children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »