Talk

Advanced search

I'm day 2 of codeine withdrawl

(96 Posts)
FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 13:02:34

I've nc because everything about my life is a contradiction to this. Please excuse grammar etc because right now I feel like I'm having the worst case of flu ever, which is made worse by restless legs.
I've been in denial for so long. I was prescribed cocodamol 30/500 4 years ago for probable fibromyalgia. But I've been abusing them and just take them for how lifted I feel. On friday I had a wake up I phoned the surgery to see if my prescription had gone to my local chemist to be told as it had only been 10 days the doctor would not issue it. I had 4 tablets left from 100. At first I thought no problem I will go to two different chemists and buy cocodamol from one and nurofen plus from the other and take 4 of the nurofen plus and 2 cocodamol. Then I looked at the kids who were waiting to go to the beach and were so happy. It dawned on me that this is addict talk. So I took 2 cocodamol at 1 on friday afternoon and I haven't taken anything since. I don't drink alcohol ever or smoke so it's crazy how this has become me.
So far the rest of Friday was ok in terms of withdrawl I was thinking about them constantly though.
Saturday was tough in the morning but I managed to take the children to the cinema ar dinner time and didn't feel too bad. I started to get ahead of myself and think maybe I wasn't addicted. But by tea time I couldn't stop sneezing my whole body was aching and my nose was like a tap. I hardly slept last night every hour I was up and my legs were driving me crazy.
Today well fuck me what the fuck is happening my stomach is in agony I'm sweating and my tongue is covered in ulcers. The sneezing is so intense it's honestly like the time I had flu.
So husband took the children out for the day and I've watched a film on the sofa (the vanishing with kiefer sutherland it was bloody good). I'm living off tiptops, squares of bournville and ready saltes pringles.
There's no going back now I will never take another tablet again. Husband is phoning the surgery tomorrow and telling them.
I know this isn't the recommended way to do this but I needed to act on my feelings at that exact moment and make this decision. Thanks to anyone who has read my jumbled crap and to anyone else suffering from an addiction fuck this is hard but we are worth more and we can do this.

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:07:16

I'm feeling a little better now, it's coming in waves a lot of the time.
I'm making pancakes right now to keep busy and being on my feet is helping the restless legs. I've got a new book on kindle and I've just realised there's a second series of the let down on netflix. I'm predicting no sleep tonight so that should keep me busy.

ashtrayheart Sun 04-Aug-19 18:10:53

Keep going x
I felt like this when I stopped drinking to excess (massive excess) 2 years ago. Have a look at AVRT (google it with addiction) as it covers all addictive thoughts.
starthanks

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:20:45

Thankyou @ashtrayheart I'm determined. I've never even considered stopping before I usually never go longer than 4 hours between doses if I'm honest I've taken 4 tablets within 2hrs often.
Well done on stopping the drinking that was so very courageous and I admire people who tackle these things.
I'm feeling quite uplifted right now but I'm aware this is going to come crashing down soon enough.

Roomba Sun 04-Aug-19 18:32:36

Day 3 is generally the worst but things should start to subside a bit after that. The not sleeping makes everything feel 1000x worse, but you're a good way through the worst bits now so don't give up. It's exactly the same thing as heroin withdrawal (sneezing, runny nose, aches, shivers, nausea, diarrheoa, feeling freezing, sweating, awful insomnia, emotions all over the place, feeling of doom). Good news is it passes pretty quickly if you stick with it and you should feel a lot better within days.

IF however you can't cope, do NOT just take a large dose as you would do before. Tolerance drops very quickly and you could overdose without meaning to. Seek advice from your GP, they may be able to give you something to help or help you taper down if you do end up back on the tablets again. Good luck, you're doing amazingly well!

Salene Sun 04-Aug-19 18:34:01

I know someone who was addicted to nurofen plus and was taking up to 36 a day at some points, they cut down do about 5 a day then just went cold turkey, the physical withdrawals only lasted a few days so just ride it out, the mental was their battle but the only thing that makes it easier is time. Everyday clean is another day easier. Don't give up..!!!!!!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 04-Aug-19 18:36:59

Day... umm... <thinks>... 17(ish) here.

You'll be absolutely fine 😊.

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:43:34

I have no option to give up even if I wanted to (I bloody miss the spaced happy feeling that makes everything seem perfect). I have no tablets here, I live rural and don't drive and husband knows this is what I need right now.
Thank you for the heads up for day 3 I'm thinking can this get any worse but prepared for a good week of cravings and feeling generally shitter than shit.
There's a woman down the road from me who had her young children placed in care because of heroin and I've cried for her and those kids when I'm a fucking addict too. This is one heck of a wakeup call. It's madness I'm the most straight person you could meet I don't even drink caffeine yet here I am going through technically cold turkey.
Thank you for support it means so much smile

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:44:33

@MilkTwoSugarsThanks wow well done. How are you feeling? So many questions can I ask is that ok?

JoJoSM2 Sun 04-Aug-19 18:44:50

DH took cocodamol for about 3 months (due to a medical need). He then thought he'd try to see if he'd be ok without. He felt horrendous and depressed. So we decided that it'd be best to wean him off gradually. He took smaller and smaller doses over 2-3 weeks till he stopped altogether. If that isn't an option, just hang in there for another few days and it'll pass.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 04-Aug-19 18:45:38

@FrisbeeParty fire away 😁

JoJoSM2 Sun 04-Aug-19 18:45:53

Cross posted. Hang in there, good luck!

sweetkitty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:48:57

You are doing great. Keep going just keep thinking how amazing you will feel once you are over this.

I take tramadol for fibromyalgia and I’m so careful with them, I’ll only allow myself 4 a day or 6 if I’m really really sore but that’s very occasionally. I’m terrified of getting addicted it’s so easy though so don’t beat yourself up about it.

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:50:51

@MilkTwoSugarsThanks what was the deciding moment for you? How long had you been taking them? Was it prescription strength or otc? How many were you taking? Did you go cold turkey or taper down? How are you feeling now? How long was it until you felt ok waking up sort of normal or is it still early days? You are doing fantastic flowers

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:06

The support and positivity from you all has really made me smile thank you all

broccccoli Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:16

I don't know much about addiction but WELL DONE! You're doing amazinglybrewthanks

ihatethecold Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:19

Wow op. Well done. You are doing great. flowers

ashtrayheart Sun 04-Aug-19 18:55:54

Check in here daily if it helps - I found that accountability was a massive thing (I announced my alcoholism and stopping drinking on Facebook - extreme and not a suggestion but it made a big difference to me).

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 04-Aug-19 18:58:57

what was the deciding moment for you? I ran out of pharmacies to get it from without them asking questions.

How long had you been taking them? I genuinely have no idea. Years.

Was it prescription strength or otc? Prescription whenever I thought I could blag it, max strength otc if I couldn't.

How many were you taking? Maximum dosage every day, but would squeeze in an extra dose based on timings.

Did you go cold turkey or taper down? Cold turkey. I ran out!

How are you feeling now? Absolutely fine.

How long was it until you felt ok waking up sort of normal or is it still early days? 2 or 3 days. I'd still class it as early days though as do still think about it in an unhealthy way.

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 19:04:20

Thank you @MilkTwoSugarsThanks you have done amazing. I'm hoping by the end of the week I'm feeling a little normal but I guess everyone is different.
The restless legs are driving me crazy it also feels like there's a buzzing inside of my feet and legs almost like a crawling sensation. I'm so tempted to put my feet in a pan with ice.

madcatladyforever Sun 04-Aug-19 19:10:18

Well done OP I need to do this too. Sometimes I take 4 3 times a day. I've cold turkey before but went back when I was stressed and need a couple of weeks off work to do it again.
Withdrawal is awful but you are doing fantastically and in a few days will start feeling better.
Keep going. I'm cheering you on and will be joining you soon.

elastamum Sun 04-Aug-19 19:13:42

I was taking 60mg 4x a day after a bad accident. It took me about a month to get down to nothing and the temptation to keep on it was very high. I took one the other night as my arm was playing up and I couldn't sleep. I couldn't believe how spaced I was! I have no idea how I managed to function on the dose I was taking, but the alternative was grinding pain. Keep going, you can do this!

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 19:13:52

You can do it @madcatladyforever take the time you need, you will know when you are ready.

Blankspace4 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:17:17

Do you have any plain paracetamol you could take just for a day or so to take off the edge of the opiate withdrawal?

Have been through similar myself in the past (not codeine but something stronger) and ashamed to say a number of relapses too.

In my experience withdrawal is better after a couple of days and the clear headed ness and the ability to LIVE life and FEEL life (rather than the numbing out) felt almost technicolour for me.

Keep going, and I agree with the idea to use this thread to be accountable.

FrisbeeParty Sun 04-Aug-19 19:19:54

@elastamum that's pretty much the minimum I was on. The amount of times I put a prescription in early claiming holiday or being rural meant not being able to get in at any other time. So on friday I was shocked at how terrified I was when they didn't allow me my prescription early. My mind was completely focused on which chemist I could get husband to take me to. It dawned on me how fucked up this was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »