Talk

Advanced search

Coping with feelings ‘in the raw’ i.e. without booze, food, etc to help

(14 Posts)
PamelaPeaches Fri 10-May-19 14:24:24

So I recently read a great book about a New Zealand housewife giving up the booze and living a sober life. She talked about the adjustment of not being able to have alcohol whenever she’d have an uncomfortable feeling - she now has to live all through all her feelings ‘in the raw’. A long and difficult process to adjust to. Cos life is fecking hard. And we all have lots of uncomfortable feelings to live with, and that will not change.

Got me thinking I definitely use both alcohol and food to mentally check out and ‘be somewhere else’. I don’t really want to do this any more.

So lemme have your tips - what do you do with your feelings when you’ve received that slightly rude text, or you’ve upset your friend, or you’ve had a crap day at work?

Meditate? Call a friend? Plan to go to bed early? Write a post on Mumsnet? Stroke a cushion? What.

Coyoacan Fri 10-May-19 15:34:39

Well, first of all, alcohol is a vicious circle. It seems to help with stress at the moment, but it actually depletes vitamin B from your system and leaves you less able to deal with stress.

I was psychologically addicted to alcohol, using it to deal with minor stresses. So I took large doses of Vitamin B complex as soon as I decided to stop. I was involved in a huge earthquake two weeks after I stopped drinking and saw how the winos were still sprawled out in their world while everyone was running around trying to find where they could help. It only made me happier that I had stopped.

Can't talk about comfort eating though. I do know that Overeaters Anonymous has a very good reputation.

PamelaPeaches Fri 10-May-19 15:46:23

I didn’t know that about Vitamin B. Another good reason not to drink.

Did you find anything particularly helpful Coyo, to deal with life stresses in the moment, after giving up drink?

JellySlice Fri 10-May-19 15:51:09

Mindfulness meditation does help, but I find that I can't get to it from first bae IYSWIM. I cannot go from dropping prop (binge-eating) straightaway to MM. Drinking herbal tea helps as an alternative prop, both interim and longer term. Having a brief got home routine anchors and settles me: shoes off, wash hands, brush hair, cup of tea. By the time that's done, I'm usually in a better place.

DXBMermaid Fri 10-May-19 15:57:00

I think it's a good idea to not put all your eggs in one basket. Ie. have more then one option.

Breathing really really helps but sometimes you just don't want to sit and calm yourself. Sometimes you want to punch a wall > not recommended < so then I'll go for an 'angry walk' instead. That's the one where you are stomping around, muttering swear words like some demented women.

Get us much help as you can get. Supplements, exercise, reiki, (group)therapy, medication, writing, AA; whatever you think could possibly help!!

RussellSprout Mon 20-May-19 18:21:20

Struggling with this at the moment (given up a food addiction). I don't think there's any option but to feel my feelings, the only way out is through type of thing. I've been going to bed early a lot... it feels like depression, but I know it's a reaction to being without my 'drug'.

PamelaPeaches Mon 24-Jun-19 11:57:04

Thanks for these replies. I keep meaning to come back to this. Trying some different methods. But also burying my head in the sand min between. Want to try journaling and breathing more. Is hard with kids around

PamelaPeaches Mon 24-Jun-19 11:57:40

*Burying head in sand in between

HearMeRoarr Fri 27-Sep-19 13:27:50

Following, will come back shortly

WifeofDarth Fri 27-Sep-19 13:37:20

What a great idea for a thread. I definitely use food & alcohol to distract me. Watching with interest for others' experiences.

PamelaPeaches Fri 27-Sep-19 14:09:15

Still struggling with this. Especially after the school holidays. Would love to share and swap ideas. Currently having maybe 2/3 glasses beer or wine every other night. I do and I don't want to stop it... It definitely 'gives' me something..

sittingonacornflake Fri 27-Sep-19 15:48:26

I find a shower helps to clear the mind a bit.

Etino Fri 27-Sep-19 15:52:42

Whatever life throws at me I think, ‘at least I’m sober.’
I can upset a friend, have a sleepless night, worry about money, worry about being a good parent etc. without factoring in whether drink was a factor.

PamelaPeaches Fri 27-Sep-19 17:22:26

Currently a large bottle of brewdog beer down. Stopping now but I know I'll feel less than my best tomorrow. Thing is I CAN stop but I can't not start.

Think I will pick a night when I would normally drink and 'live' post about what/how I'm feeling whilst actively choosing not to drink. Could be an interesting tactic to try.

Funny...used to be food. Now it's drink.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »