Talk

Advanced search

Addicted to cocodamol

(6 Posts)
howcanwe Wed 13-Mar-19 18:26:25

I've been taking them for a few years now...
Absolutely determined to stop.
Anyone at the same situation or had been?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hollowvictory Wed 13-Mar-19 18:28:17

I take 2 per night

Lucinder Mon 15-Apr-19 06:25:39

It's important to remember that you may need proffesional help and support at some point, but for now try tapering doen the dose very slowly... say if you were taking 4 pills a night (just as an example ) reduce that to 3 & 1/2 pills for a week or two and then tru and go down again once you feel 'comfortable' ... its also important to know that the lower the dose gets the more challenging it can become because proportionately the reduction in the body feels steeper. I would definitely advise searching for a tapering schedule for the type of opiate and dosage that you are on or to go to your GP or contacting a confidential addiction helpline in your area to get help with the reduction process. I have been reducing on and off for about 2 years now from various opiates and have found therapy and docs essential in keeping me on track and realistic about my behaviour and expectations...I'm determined and hopefull but will never underestimate an addiction again - wishing you a ton of luck & fortitude - you can do it!! smile x

BBCK Mon 15-Apr-19 06:45:33

I’ve just stopped taking them after taking 2 a night for about 6 months. I did it without it occurring to me that I might be addicted and the spent the next few days moaning that I felt awful. After 3 days I was fine. My symptoms were insomnia, restless legs and aching all over.

madcatladyforever Mon 15-Apr-19 06:54:44

I have chronic arthritis and used to take 12 a day. The max is 8. I'd take 4 at a time. I've tried two different ways to come off. First taking 2 weeks holiday and going cold turkey. It's nasty but quick. The other way is to reduce by half a tablet at a time and do it slowly. I just don't take them anymore. In the end they don't work unless you keep upping the dose.

Jellylegsni Thu 23-May-19 10:33:48

@madcatladyforever which way did you find most successful? The tapering? I don't know how to stop and I feel like I can't go on anymore. Have a blood test soon (for a long term health condition which actually is how I got hooked on them, self medicating with OTC pills) and I'm scared of doing it in case it shows up on the test results, or in case it shows I have liver damage. I'm just so scared.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »