Talk

Advanced search

Anyone awake to ease my anxieties?

(15 Posts)
choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 03:46:24

Just that really.

Inarightpickleandchutney Wed 12-Apr-17 03:49:10

I'm awake for a little while, what's worrying you?

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Wed 12-Apr-17 03:51:02

Thanks to DD coming down with a sickness bug, I am awake too.

What's up?

choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 03:57:48

Just that DH is away, and I have indulged tonight.

Inarightpickleandchutney Wed 12-Apr-17 04:02:21

Have you had a good time up to now? Is it all gone now?

choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 05:04:51

I have actually, just now feeling guilty and ashamed.

choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 05:13:49

Rubbish when you have nobody to talk to

choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 05:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LobsterQuadrille Wed 12-Apr-17 05:31:16

Why are you feeling so guilty?

choccywoccywoowah Wed 12-Apr-17 05:50:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Wed 12-Apr-17 08:46:19

It doesn't sound like you are a royal fuck up. You're doing great and have a lot going for you, and plenty to look forward to.

You do have a weakness, and a potentially damaging one, but you have recognised that and are talking about it.

I'm no expert in addiction support so I can't offer any practical help but I do know that you're doing the right thing by accepting it's a problem and looking for support. Is your DH supportive (when he's there)?

LobsterQuadrille Wed 12-Apr-17 10:00:11

Hi OP, really empathise with you. I got up early to get to my 7.30am AA meeting so I've been in a similar place. Highly functioning, always worked, brought up my daughter 100% alone in all respects but had the utter chaos, shame, bewilderment and fear that being an alcoholic brings. Could you get to an NA meeting today? I guess the first question is: do you want to stop? I didn't, for ages and kidded myself that I was in control.

flatwhite45 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:05:14

I would second lobster, I have been addicted to cocaine for the last 15 months (having a binge once a week), it crept up to twice a week at times. I have three children under 8yrs. My youngest is 2.5 also. I work, have a lovely husband, naice home, naice area of London. Good friends and family. I have no idea why I do it, I stopped enjoying it months ago. I also get the most awful comedowns.

I have gone through periods of thinking I am a fuck up and a bad person. I don't believe that any more, I know I am a decent human being who has fallen foul of a terrible addiction.

I am starting a twelve step programme this week. (With Cocaine Anonymous) I tried for months to do it through sheer willpower and on my own, but it was impossible.

I hope you find the answer for yourself, there is help out there. You aren't alone flowers

LobsterQuadrille Wed 12-Apr-17 13:57:45

Well done flatwhite, that's great to hear. I learned to stop looking for a reason why I drank, because there wasn't one. The "why?" Then stopped being important. And despite what every non addict thinks, it isn't about willpower, which is why we seek a power greater than ourselves to restore us to sanity. In AA we say that we have an allergy to alcohol, a substance that many people enjoy - to us it's a poison.

Gosh, I've never taken cocaine but the DTs from alcohol withdrawal involve hallucinations and potentially fatal seizures for me - frightening as hell. I've locked up ghosts in the bathroom and had every electrical device talking to me - and I pride myself on my photographic memory yet this seemingly simple thing to recall was apparently in a mental block.

To both of you - wishing you peace and strength in recovery. It's a much nicer life.

flatwhite45 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:01:16

Thanks lobster, so glad you have found the way forward. I am right at the beginning of the programme, but take great heart from the success of so many others. The withdrawals sound awful from alcohol. The comedown from coke is short lived but for me involves total inability to function and feeling like I would rather be dead. Not very practical when you have three little ones and a busy life. Keep going, I am envious of your progress flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now