Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

arm bumps

(26 Posts)
mollymalloo Thu 21-Jul-05 06:34:32

cant seem to get rid of pesky little bumps on upper arms. been doing the exfoliate moisturise and loads of water routine for months but they arrived with pregnancy and babba is now 9 months old. any ideas?

Carla Thu 21-Jul-05 06:42:42

No, mm, but I'm had them since I was about 14 so I shall be watching this thread with interest! I try to get to know and love mine

A friend has them on her upper thighs, too, and her doctor recommended exfoliating. They didn't shift them for her, they didn't shift them for me, and it obviously hasn't worked for you, either

Pesky little blighters, aren't they?

mollymalloo Thu 21-Jul-05 07:27:35

they are and i have to concentrate really hard at not picking and squeezing them which of course makes them look lovely!
sorry, not a nice thought at breakfast time!

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 07:31:52

I've had them all my life, and my 4 year old dd has them too. I have never found anything to shift them, and I now completely ignore them. You get used to them after 40-odd years

Carla Thu 21-Jul-05 07:42:26

What are they? Are they just blocked hair ducts?

Flossam Thu 21-Jul-05 07:49:02

I used to get them after being covered up all winter. I always found that they vanished with a bit of sunlight though?

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 07:58:12

I wish mine vanished with a bit of sunlight! They have been a permanent fixture since I was a child.

Carla Thu 21-Jul-05 11:49:50

There's no way in this lifetime I'm going to expose my upper arms to the world!

nutcracker Thu 21-Jul-05 11:51:44

I have them too, on the backs of my arms.

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 11:57:00

Carla,your friend went to the doctor about bumps on her thighs???!

(Sounds as pressing as my cousin's urgent need to consult her GP and ask for a referral to a dietician to discuss shifting her spare tie.
I could tell her for nothing. Errrrr....eat less.)

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 11:58:04

'tyre' obviously
(Sounded like one of those Guardian 'lost consonants' things.)

binkie Thu 21-Jul-05 11:58:08

They're an excess production of keratin (stuff hair is made of) condition - think nearly half of people with caucasian type heritage have it. Exfoliate & moisturise is the only thing you can do. Also can show up as a sort of dusting of tiny dry bumps between eyebrows, which is what my ds has.

Here is a link .

okapi Thu 21-Jul-05 11:58:46

Ive got them on one arm

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 12:00:01

Exfoliate and moisturise doesn't work for me. Ignoring them does though

okapi Thu 21-Jul-05 12:01:49

wearing sleeves does it for me WWB!

Carla Thu 21-Jul-05 12:02:11

moondog, no, she did go to the docs for a very valid reason, she just thought she'd ask while she was there.

Carla Thu 21-Jul-05 12:02:55

okapi, what do you do with one arm that you don't do with the other? Let's try and narrow this down!

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 12:29:41

Yep, there's always the "wearing sleeves" option as well ... does the trick for me, too, okapi!

binkie Thu 21-Jul-05 12:43:15

A waxing lady suggested using the Body Shop mitt-things - made of knitted rough nylon string - in the shower. Hasn't got rid of them, nothing could, but I tell myself they're not as bad. Think the only time they really seemed to go (for a bit) was after lots of sea-swimming.

So did nobody think the link was interesting? Am I a lonely medical nerd?

okapi Thu 21-Jul-05 12:44:47

Carla - it's my left arm, so maybe it doesn't get used as much as the other as I'm right handed

phatcat Thu 21-Jul-05 12:56:53

keratosis pilaris ?

Aveeno cream might help - it breaks down keratin.

Chuffed Thu 21-Jul-05 13:03:04

I have these too and went to a dermatologist about it as I have really white skin they show up like a rash as they are redish. If I fake tan or have a little natural tan they aren't as obvious. They have recently finished some successful testing on I think it is a vitamin a cream that you can't use if ttc, carrying, bf so haven't been able to use it for 2years now but it did clear up a small patch on my arm.
It is one of those really common awful things.

spykid Thu 21-Jul-05 13:04:52

Try dry skin body brushing, it cleared mine up

mollymalloo Fri 22-Jul-05 18:53:30

skin brushing, theres a thought...cheers ladies x

anchovies Fri 22-Jul-05 18:55:16

exfoliating makes mine worse, only thing that helps is moisturising continuously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now