Talk

Advanced search

Trousers for a long torso/high waist (ahem, fat tummy)?

(29 Posts)
lukewarmcupoftea Thu 18-Feb-10 19:36:29

I have always had huge problems finding trousers to fit me. I'm 5'8 and probably about an 18, but even when I have been down to a 14 (quite slim for me!) I still have this problem. I vaguely remember my mum saying to me, when I was a teenager, that I have a long torso or high waist or something (i.e. a long distance between tummy button and crotch) - but of course maybe its because I have never been slim, and have always had a tummy (and now, a few months post DD2, I seem to have a higher up proper 'gut' as well, sob... but that's a different problem to tackle).

Anyway, the trousers almost always are too tight around the crotch, giving me a V shape (or even worse, a W shape blush ). If I go up a size, they still do it, just a bit less and then are huge and baggy everywhere else.

The only place I've found that do trews that don't do this is the Evans long length jeans (not their trousers)(maybe they are tailored for the bigger tummied??). But I'm trying to regain some sense of style after 3 years of pregnancies and BF, and to be frank, Evans just doesn't do it for me. I want nice trousers, posh trousers, trendy trousers, decent jeans. But where? Anyone else have this problem? I have a thick skin (ish), tell me I'm fat, I don't care, just tell me where I can get some decent trousers! (please smile)

NorkilyChallenged Thu 18-Feb-10 19:58:08

Lukewarm - I'm a size 10-12 (currently more of a 12) with a bit of a post-dc tum and I have always had this problem, even as a size 8 in my youth. I agree that some people just have a long torso/high waist and I've not discovered a good solution.

Will watch with interest because am currently reduced to yoga pants and leggings if I want to be comfy.

lukewarmcupoftea Thu 18-Feb-10 20:08:37

Norkily - shame you haven't found any answers either, but thanks for making me feel like its not a lard problem!

tulpe Thu 18-Feb-10 21:14:13

I have the same issue. Am only an 8-10 and definitely nothing to do with lard

I have found Boden trousers and jeans fit very well - particularly their straight leg jeans. When I bought my last pair, I spent ages parading around the house exclaiming to DH "Look! No bum cleavage nor camel hoof!!! How fabulous "

For a total budget fix, Asda's straight leg jeans are a great fit for a bargainous £12. I do find that its worth trying on several sizes (and sometimes several pairs of the same size, iyswim) though as sizing can be quite variable (as with many cheaper brands).

If your budget allows, some of the "designer" ranges of jeans do a high or mid-rise which are allegedly a good fit for those long in the body but i have no direct experience.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 18-Feb-10 21:21:15

Oh Tulpe, may have to investigate your suggestions myself.

I had been looking at these swing and 40s style trousers but can't decide how they would look in normal life without the retro hairdo and polka-dot tops? They are high-waisted and actually mention a low crutch [sic].

Is quite frustrating as it also means that low rise definitely doesn't work (as Tulpe mentions, the arse crack-camel toe combo not a great look)

tulpe Thu 18-Feb-10 21:40:35

Loving those Vivien of Holloway trousers <<sigh>>. Am a sucker for all things retro - particularly 40s and 50s. However, I wonder if they would emphasise a rounded tum rather than skim prettily across?

Just remembered a few other brands I have had success with:

Planet
Tommy Hilfiger (bought some gorgeous linen/cotton/silk blend navy wide legs from TK Maxx last year for £20)
H&M (again, be selective, rifle through the rails: their slim leg trousers are a great fit)

PrettyCandles Thu 18-Feb-10 22:03:32

Me too! Very frustrating. Have always had problems finding decent trousers, and it's far worse now that I'm a size 20, so have wobbly bits to contend with as well. I've never found any of the cheaper makes to fit well - often they don't even go up to my size, even if the label says "20".

I've had some lovely cords from Monsoon (they do a lot of lovely large size clothes, plus they size generous so I'm often an 18 there.) Delicious rich colours, too.

Do you find you have difficulty getting tops as well? I have a long body, so a shirt that is designed to skim the hips doesn't actually reach the top of my trousers. And if I buy a t-shirt that fits perfectly, it shrinks in the wash and is then too short.

Stylelostinlabour Thu 18-Feb-10 22:04:21

Oh I feel your pain on this, I'm a size 14/16/18 depending on tummy (post cs at the moment) I have a short torso but high waist, rather strange shape. I get people asking when due bastards!

Anyway the trousers I find are nice on me are GAP and to be honest all jeans look horrid on me so go for skirts and dresses

I have one pair of Fat Face jeans that are higher waisted but do go back arse and thigh.

Not much help i know but will also watch with interest I'm hoping somebody says shop here all your worries are over...

hellymelly Thu 18-Feb-10 22:12:06

the 40's style trousers might have a low crutch,but that means a true 40's cut which is really low,probably a 3rd of the way between your crotch and your knees.This looks authentic for a complete 40's look but looks very strange if you mix it up with anything contemporary.
I also have the same prob,I am your height but a smaller dress size and even when I was a size 8 with a flat tummy (pre 2 c-sections)and a 23" waist I still found it hard to get trs to fit properly.I would splash the cash on getting a pair made tbh,then you have one lovely pair that fit.Or splash the cash and try Margaret Howell,hers fit me.

tulpe Thu 18-Feb-10 22:40:13

If you are looking for tees, I can recommend Top Shop. Their vests are fabulously long and wash very well and I have several of their long sleeve tees for layering.

Zara is also a good bet. I bought some long sleeve tees from there today which are lovely enough to wear as a top on their own (rather than layered beneath things). They are reduced to a bargainous £3.99, lots of colours (I bought a pinky-orange, teal and chocolate), slightly A-line (not so large to make you look pregnant but loose enough to skim and flatter) and made from a gorgeous slub cotton.

tulpe Thu 18-Feb-10 22:42:18

oh and try the Top Shop Tall range for tees too. They are a bit long in the sleeve for me but I wear them anyway as I don't mind a little ruching

PoppityPing Thu 18-Feb-10 23:00:00

I have this problem too (size 10/12), I always wear hipster styles, but they are uncomfortable still.

I found a little website where the trousers fit me Tulip and Nettle but they only have the odd pair of trousers (only capri pants atm) and are limited in sizes.

I am hoping someone comes along with a better answer.

PrettyCandles Thu 18-Feb-10 23:05:14

Got excited for a moment there, just checked and they only go up to a size 16 ("or extra large" hmm ha ha ha).

Cadelaide Thu 18-Feb-10 23:07:01

Next high-rise jeans.

They hold it all in beautifully without that VW thing going on grin

Lubyloo Thu 18-Feb-10 23:20:35

I have the same problem. M&S £12 jeans are great. Link here. They look much better on than they do in the picture!

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Feb-10 00:03:29

I had the £12 jeans last year or the year before. They weren't great at all! For one thing they stretched so much, that trousers which fitted in the mornign were falling down by the time I'd finished the school-run. And trying them on at the same time as the £35 jeans really emphasised how much better-made the more expensive ones were.

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 09:34:13

Oh you are all angels! I've never met anyone else with the same problem, so thought I was just a (badly dressed) freak. Will try all those suggestions (although have not had much luck with next and marks to date). Love the idea of having some made! Have had a dreadful night with two poorly kids, and you've cheered me right up smile

Cadelaide Fri 19-Feb-10 12:35:31

next jeans here.

Rather hideous colours this season though.

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 13:19:49

Cadelaide - will go and try them on, but the photo made me laugh - looks like even the model has a slight 'V' going on there!

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 13:22:05

Tulpe - am a Boden virgin (I know, hard to imagine, what with me being on mumsnet all the time and everything). Are they stingy or generous on their sizing? Just wondering what size to go for to start with...

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 13:37:09

PrettyCandles - I can usually find OK longer length tops thank goodness, especially at the moment with all the tunic tops around. I hear what you say about t shirts though, but have abandoned those for the moment, fed up with the jeans and t shirt look, having worn them for 3 years solid pretty much! And shirts, I can never find ones that fit comfortably and don't gape around my bust, not that I'm dolly parton (although the BF doesn't help at the mo!), just normally curvy.

I've just bought a pair of trews from Monsoon, but I can see that they are OK now, but are going to go the way of the V after a couple of washes when they soften up. Sigh. I have just bought loads of lovely tops from Monsoon though, first new clothes in 3 years hooray!

fishie Fri 19-Feb-10 13:41:54

monsoon, next m&s. i have opposite problem and none of them fit me!

my sister has this, also with dresses. she wears petites even though she isn't, the proportions seem to suit a longer body better.

here is my new friend stacy on the subject:

Stacy says if your jeans fit everywhere except the rise—that is, the crotch—it may be because you have a longer torso and shorter legs. If so, even if you are taller, try on a petite pair of the same jeans. You may find they fit infinitely better in the rise and the leg.

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 13:50:18

I hear what you say fishie, but that sounds a bit wierd to me! How can a petite version fit someone who is 5'8?! I'll give it a go though [desperate emoticon]

fishie Fri 19-Feb-10 13:54:29

my sis 5'7" and size 18!

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Feb-10 14:05:43

okey dokey fishie, you've convinced me you aren't a loon (in the nicest possible way) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now