Talk

Advanced search

Do you need a special shirt to wear cufflinks...

(13 Posts)
Wuxiapian Sun 29-Nov-09 23:08:16

?

I'm thinking to buy my DP some, but unsure.

Can they be worn with any shirt?

Hoping someone can advise.

Much thanks in advance for any responses.

BionicEar Sun 29-Nov-09 23:12:03

The only shirt that my DH has with cufflinks has a special hole in it for the links to pass through - otherwise I think you would be unable to wear?

I don't think you could wear with a normal shirt, but then someone else might enlighten us further! smile

catinthehat2 Sun 29-Nov-09 23:14:36

Some shirts may have a mini "buttonhole" near the cuff button. In theory you could take the button off and open up this hole if you preferred to use a cufflink instead.

winestein Sun 29-Nov-09 23:15:59

I'm pretty sure you can get cufflinks which link a button tot he respective hole, but generally speaking you need a shirt which has two button holes in the cuffs... hence having a cuff-link. Standard cufflinks are the same each end of the link and are basically 2 buttons on the end of a link.

So, in answer to your question, generally speaking, no! smile

catinthehat2 Sun 29-Nov-09 23:16:05

Sorry, meant to add they will not have a flip back double cuff however, which looks best with a cufflink. That type has no button, and is only designed for use with links.

Poledra Sun 29-Nov-09 23:16:11

You need a shirt with a hole where the button should be on the cuff, IYSWIM. Ordinary shirts won't have the hole, so the cufflinks won't work (unless you're handy with a sewing machine and can put a second little hole on the cuff grin).

Divatheshopaholic Sun 29-Nov-09 23:27:43

dh got couple of cufflinks, and some shirts have buttons and some dont, when you buy new shirts ahve a look, and there will be knotted buttons, some actually have hole and button.

OnlyQuoteMeInTheTelegraph Sun 29-Nov-09 23:33:17

Yes. You need a shirt with french cuffs aka double cuffs, if you wanted to buy him one to go with the cufflinks (Lewins have great sales most of the time and their shirts are decent quality). Basically the cuffs fold back upon themselves.

I love cufflinks. Have you a particular pair in mind, can we see? (nosy! grin)

jemart Sun 29-Nov-09 23:56:38

cufflinks are great! brilliant collectable little knick knacks. My DH gets some new ones every Christmas either from our DC or as stocking fillers.

Wuxiapian Mon 30-Nov-09 09:59:22

Thanks, everyone.

I've had a sneak peek at a few shirts. Some have the usual button(s) in place, but adjacient to a small slit.

So, this makes it possible, yes?

Please excuse my cufflink ignorance.

OQMITT, I'm keen on these.

What do you think?

OnlyQuoteMeInTheTelegraph Mon 30-Nov-09 12:18:57

Nice! A tiny bit of bling, but quite classic and smart - I think most men would be very happy with those

jessicac26 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:25:57

Yes, I think you will need French Cuff for wearing cufflinks.

akkakk Sat 07-Jan-17 10:28:38

As said by onlyquoute- must have French / Double cuffs - anything else looks really wrong, they sit differently on the wrist with cufflinks, so the cuffs / sleeves will be slightly longer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now