Talk

Advanced search

dress help needed, please

(13 Posts)
madcows Thu 12-Nov-09 15:25:18

Please help me find a dress. I rarely buy clothes for myself, and hate shopping. But I've decided I really do need some more clothes, and am (drum roll) going up to London this weekend. I've decided I want to buy a knitted dress, with 3-quarter length sleeves. Something easy to wear and flattering (!) I'm thinking of something I can wear with boots and thermals... I'm VERY flat chested indeed, but have a fairly good sized bum! I know if I wander into shops I'll be overwhelmed with choice, and come home with nothing.
Any suggestions??? .. smile please.

madcows Thu 12-Nov-09 16:09:37

bump bump,
please smile smile

NorkilyChallenged Thu 12-Nov-09 17:04:13

Okay, what kind of budget? I am similar shape and have looked thousands lots of knitted dresses/tunics online so will pop back later with some suggestions.

Colours? To wear as a dress rather than with leggings/jeans? What size do you normally wear?

I'm sure we can make some suggestions and in the meantime, there are cheap and nice knitted dresses in Peacocks and Matalan and some more pricey ones in Oasis (though scoop neck might not flatter the flatter chest wink). New Look also has cheap (short-sleeved, roll neck) ones.

Will be back when children aren't hanging off my legs waiting to be fed!

nikki1978 Thu 12-Nov-09 17:13:31

I love this next one - they do it in brown too. Not 3/4 length sleeves though...

www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=138&s=4&n=women&pid=488-236&exclude=00AF00|00A00&returnurl =%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fdresses%2f0%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26q uot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bDres ses

nikki1978 Thu 12-Nov-09 17:14:22

Ooh sorry don't know what happened there....

It is the cable dress on the Next website in lime green if that link doesn't work.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 12-Nov-09 17:15:29

One I haven't seen before bit fitted

Extremely pricey and not even 3/4 sleeve!

The three-quarter sleeve but not sure about the shape

How do you like this shape? Not what I would choose, I must say.

Just offering lots of different ideas to try and get an idea of what you're interested in.

tethersend Thu 12-Nov-09 18:14:29

Perhaps this or this?

Whereabouts in London are you headed?

madcows Fri 13-Nov-09 09:11:57

wow! I couldn't get online last night, and come back to find lots of suggestions!grin thank you!

I realise that I should have given a few more clues... perhaps what i want isn't called knitted... - i.e it isn't knitted like a jumper, but knitted like a tee-shirt.

A friend had one that looked really nice, and if there wasn't a chance of running into her I'd probably go straight out and buy the same thing. It was from Cath Kidson (I didn't even know she did clothes, thought it was all tea-towels and tents. Shows how cr*p I am re all things clothes-related!)... I'll try and find it to show you...www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-13863-cath-kidston-autumn-flowers-dress.aspx

Altho' actually thats a bit flowery for me... and not sure the neck line would be v flattering.
help....
madcows

madcows Fri 13-Nov-09 09:18:03

and how cr*p I am at posting links

try againhere

NorkilyChallenged Fri 13-Nov-09 09:42:24

Ah okay, not really knitted, just more like a jersey dress then.

So patterned? Or not?

I personally avoid anything too clingy in jersey and I don't particularly like wrap dresses on me but just to get a feel for what you like, how about this one?

Some examples from Boden, this next one has a good neckline I think. Actually if you like that Cath Kidston one, I would definitely recommend you look at the Boden dresses.

You'd have to try this one on to see how the neckline worked for you

NorkilyChallenged Fri 13-Nov-09 09:49:35

Nice shape maybe a bit dark? Not sure of your colour preferences.

Plain rather than patterned and easy to wear but maybe a bit more er.... I'm not sure what the word is, more structured than what you were looking at?

Getting close?

madcows Fri 13-Nov-09 09:53:32

Ummm... so many quesstions and things to think about. No wonder I hate shopping...
Umm... think I want it on the knee or below. And some pattern is okay, but not too loud. And -thankyou ... now at least I know its called a jersey dress.grin
Have to do some work, so might not be back for a while...
madcows

NorkilyChallenged Fri 13-Nov-09 10:02:29

Just realised Boden won't help if you're going shopping in London (silly me)

If you hate shopping maybe heading to a department store (John Lewis etc) to try to get some variety of different brands without having to traipse from one shop to another. You could try a few things on (JL have Oasis, Warehouse, White Stuff, Kew, as well as the couple I've already linked to from there so lots of different makes that might be useful)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now